Password protected files

Current users of the YDS product should use this section of the forum to post questions/answers. This may not be moderated, but is here for existing YDS users to help other users get answers to their questions.

Moderator: Mods

Password protected files

Postby olavatar » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:05 am

I have just realised that YDS appears to find password-protected Lotus 1-2-3 files but does not preview them (which is perfectly reasonable). However, unless I am doing something wrong, when it comes to password-protected Lotus Wordpro files, it simply fails to find them which, as these are likely to be important files, is not so reasonable. Can anyone confirm if this is in fact the case or advise how to overcome it?
Having just experimented a bit further, it appears that password-protected MS Excel files are also not found. Surely this can't be right? If it is, is it also true for X1?
olavatar

Postby Aquamarine » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:29 am

Hey Ola,

Have you found out the reason for this problem? I am also encountering problem like yours.

Hope that anyone from this forum can help us find the solution.

Any replies will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Aquamarine

Password protected files

Postby olavatar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:34 am

OK - at this point, with 96 "views" of this topic and no suggestions, I'm guessing no-one knows a simple, satisfactory answer. I'll therefore outline my own (pretty unsatisfactory) workround.
This is to open each password-protected file on my system, delete from it everything except key words, and then save it as the same file name but with a suffix and unprotected. So, for example, file SECRET01.xls would then be joined by a "shadow" file SECRET01yds.xls which would be found by YDS if it contained the relevant search terms and would act as a pointer to the protected file. Similarly, when creating any new password-protected file, I would also create an unprotected "shadow" containing only the keywords. Crude, error-prone, but better than simply failing to find important files.
Incidentally, I'd still be interested to know (before considering its purchase at some future date) if X1 indexes password-protected files. Surely someone knows the answer to that one?
olavatar

Re: Password protected files

Postby w0qj » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:42 am

YDS does not support Win'Vista, and does not support Win7.

I've recently tried to install an older version of X1 on Win7 (32-bit), it threw lots of errors, option box items cannot be controlled in Tools>>Options, etc. etc.

I shudder to think what that ancient YDS would fair on your computer...
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to YDS (Yahoo! Desktop Search) users