Article: Yahoo Turns To X1 to Expand Into Desktop Search

Current users of the YDS product should use this section of the forum to post questions/answers. This may not be moderated, but is here for existing YDS users to help other users get answers to their questions.

Moderator: Mods

Article: Yahoo Turns To X1 to Expand Into Desktop Search

Postby Bozford » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:33 am

OK, it sounds like X1 will be getting a...well.. let's see...GIGANTIC boost come January. See the article below.

http://software.silicon.com/applications/0,39024653,39126481,00.htm

So with Yahoo potentially offering the free version, and X1 selling a corporate version, the Desktop Search race is REALLY about to get interesting. Personally, I think the X1/Yahoo combination is going to kick the #$%^&* out of the other guys.

You go kids! You just waded out of the "kiddie pool" and into an olympic size one!

-Bozford
Last edited by Bozford on Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bozford

Postby mark » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:12 pm

We prefer to think of it as being called up to the major leagues. Or, being invited to the adult table...but the Olympic sized pool works, too [smile].

Mark
mark
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby lbusch » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:30 am

I purchased Bloomba about a year ago. Nice program, did many things I needed. Then Yahoo "acquired" Bloomba. Poof...instantly orphaned program. It's not so much the $60 or so that I lost, it was the HOURS of extracting my Bloomba messages and getting them imported into Thunderbird. Now, I'm ready to purchase (still using the beta and trial) X1 and I see that Yahoo is getting involved. Will X1 be another Yahoo victim? I want a desktop search program that is browser, search engine and e-mail client agnostic. So, do I purchase or continue my search for the "perfect" data integration client?
lbusch

Postby mark » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:51 am

In fact, we have always aimed to be agnostic and will continue that way. That said, nothing is perfect. We only support IE right now. We want to support Opera and Firefox, too. We only support Outlook, Thunderbird, OE, and Eudora now. We want to support Notes and all other MBOX style mailers, too. Give us enough time and we will get to all of those things.

As to X1 and Yahoo!...X1 will continue selling X1 software (we still have lots of things up our sleeves), while Yahoo! distributes their desktop search application, which will be based on our technology.

Mark
mark
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Return to YDS (Yahoo! Desktop Search) users