Yahoo Desktop v. X1

Current users of the YDS product should use this section of the forum to post questions/answers. This may not be moderated, but is here for existing YDS users to help other users get answers to their questions.

Moderator: Mods

Yahoo Desktop v. X1

Postby netlaw » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:18 am

I'm wondering what are the differneces between Yahoo Desktop search vs. X1... If there is no differrence why did I pay for X1?
netlaw

Postby wordwitch » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:50 pm

The difference that I see is that the free Yahoo search does local drive indexing only - with X1 you have the capability to index network drives. We're using the X1 demo and finding it to be great!
wordwitch

Postby pgk » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:53 pm

How about indexing of Eudora mail? I think that's not included in Yahoo - or is it? -pgk
pgk
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

No Eudora

Postby wordwitch » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:13 pm

Pgk - I just checked - I have both on my machine and you're correct - Yahoo only does Outlook and Outlook Express; X1 does both those as well as Eudor and Mozilla. :)
wordwitch

Postby w0qj » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:25 am

clicky:
http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=3732#3732

here's a re-cap:
-Yahoo Desktop Search does not do the following functions that the paid version of X1 can do:

a) no thunderbird/mozilla/eudora email indexing

b) no "offline" Outlook email indexing
i'll also presume also no "offline" Outlook Express email indexing, although this was not explicitly mentioned

c) no network drive indexing

d) no Lotus Notes email indexing that upcoming X1 v5.1 will have.
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby ngenez » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:46 pm

i recently installed the Yahoo version on a seperate PC. the limitations that is has relative to the full version of x1 are pretty clear in the notes. but the one thing that Yahoo has that X1 doesn't is an extra button to search the web.

in the [search] field, there are 2 buttons to the right; [clear] and [save as]. on the Yahoo version, there is a third [search yahoo] that will launch your default browser and pass the search criteria to their engine.

i like how you can add multiple search engines to the search bar in firefox, i'd like to be able to do the same in X1. Copernic has this feature (not customizable, but at least it's internet capability exists) but X1 doesn't.
ngenez

Postby w0qj » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:30 pm

X1 historically had a button to search the internet also.
it was relatively easy for X1 to add this code back into v5.0 Beta for Yahoo/X1 Desktop Search.

as recently as v3.x of X1 a year ago, beta testers had found pressing [CTRL]+H did something strange, but it does not work now for the paid version of X1 v5.0
Rgds / Mr. Wong

w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby pstrisik » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:22 am

What is "offline pst indexing"?
pstrisik
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby w0qj » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:46 am

Think "no offline PST indexing" for means that Yahoo Desktop Search (YDS) won't index for these Outlook email files if these are located in a network drive?

Can X1 kindly double-confirm this? Tks!

======
By the way, the newly released YDS beta supports Yahoo! Instant Messaging history files and Yahoo! address book.
Rgds / Mr. Wong

w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to YDS (Yahoo! Desktop Search) users