Yahoo! upgrade: Now searches IM logs and online addresses

Current users of the YDS product should use this section of the forum to post questions/answers. This may not be moderated, but is here for existing YDS users to help other users get answers to their questions.

Moderator: Mods

Yahoo! upgrade: Now searches IM logs and online addresses

Postby Kermit » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:23 pm

Yahoo! has upgraded it's X1 Desktop search to include Yahoo! Instant Messaging history files and Yahoo! address book.

Are these features coming soon to X1?
Kermit

Postby w0qj » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:41 am

well, the "Search Yahoo" button in Yahoo/X1 Desktop Search never made it into X1's paid v5.0 and its many subsequent betas for upcoming v5.1

so i'm not holding my breath for anything Yahoo-specific incorporated into the paid version of X1...
(on the other hand, would this discourage Yahoo/X1 Desktop Search users to upgrade to the "paid" version of X1 ?)

but i'm expecting Yahoo to encourage X1 to support other foreign languages, as Yahoo is not just in english speaking countries you know... (just look at its founder)
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Hadn't looked at the Yahoo version, but...

Postby philbos » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:20 am

I hadn't bothered looking at the Yahoo version, but if it has features I don't get in my *paid* X1, guess I ought to take a look. Can someone delineate what we get in paid X1 verus Yahoo? If it is "Notes", then for me there is no difference.
philbos
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby w0qj » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:49 am

clicky:
http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=3732#3732

here's a re-cap:
-The newly released Yahoo Desktop Search beta supports Yahoo! Instant Messaging history files and Yahoo! address book.

-Yahoo Desktop Search does not do the following functions that the paid version of X1 can do:

a) no thunderbird/mozilla/eudora email indexing

b) no "offline" Outlook email indexing
i'll also presume also no "offline" Outlook Express email indexing, although this was not explicitly mentioned

c) no network drive indexing

d) no Lotus Notes email indexing that upcoming X1 v5.1 will have.
Rgds / Mr. Wong

w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby w0qj » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:09 am

fyi, Yahoo Desktop Search beta just got upgraded to version "ydsbeta_1616zzzzza.exe" which i presume is just bug fixes.

just last week when i last visited, YDS was version "ydsbeta_1616zzzzss.exe".
(This was the first beta with Yahoo address book & Instant Messenging capabilities...)

guess YDS is really taking their time to get it right the first time...
Rgds / Mr. Wong

w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby patteoks » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:00 am

I bought into the paid version of X1 about 6 months ago. The funny thing is now that the free Yahoo Desktop Search has indexing for the Yahoo Instant Messenger History files and we who have paid $$ for our X1 cannot use this feature. I tried to install the Yahoo Desktop Search but the installation routine does not permit Yahoo Desktop Search to be installed as I have already installed X1.

The idea was to just use Yahoo Desktop Search to index only the Yahoo Instant Messenging history files.

So the people who paid for their X1 actually end up with a poorer index in this instance.

Does X1 support care to comment.

:(
patteoks

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:44 pm

patteoks wrote:I bought into the paid version of X1 about 6 months ago. The funny thing is now that the free Yahoo Desktop Search has indexing for the Yahoo Instant Messenger History files and we who have paid $$ for our X1 cannot use this feature. I tried to install the Yahoo Desktop Search but the installation routine does not permit Yahoo Desktop Search to be installed as I have already installed X1.

The idea was to just use Yahoo Desktop Search to index only the Yahoo Instant Messenging history files.

So the people who paid for their X1 actually end up with a poorer index in this instance.

Does X1 support care to comment.

:(

Yes, this is one of the feature differences between Yahoo! Desktop Search and X1 Desktop Search. There are features, of course, that XDS has that are not included in YDS.

You can index your Yahoo! Messenger discussions though. When you choose Save As from the Messenger window, the default file type is text. Just make sure that directory is selected in X1 and all of your saved chats will be included in your X1 index.
Rob McClinton
Director of Customer Care, X1

My manager is Josh Jacobs
President, X1
Rob
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby w0qj » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:28 pm

Can X1 consider adding an YDS functionality module that one can add onto X1?
such as: add the "Search Yahoo Messenger" button back into the "Favourites" toolbar in X1, and automatically enable X1 to do the unique things YDS does? (including search the web using Yahoo button).

i've just had a week of serious YDS use (uninstalled X1 first).
it's basically same as X1, but with some features nerfed, as per above conversation. (YDS comments i'll post in X1 Beta Features & Suggestions forum separately).
Rgds / Mr. Wong

w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to YDS (Yahoo! Desktop Search) users