Why pay for X1

Current users of the YDS product should use this section of the forum to post questions/answers. This may not be moderated, but is here for existing YDS users to help other users get answers to their questions.

Moderator: Mods

Why pay for X1

Postby prhawkes » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:15 am

I am currently running a trial version of X1. I see there s a free version form Yahoo. Could someone explain the differences apart from the price! :twisted:

Thank you.
Peter R Hawkes
PMH Computer Systems Ltd
prhawkes

Re: Why pay for X1

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:35 pm

prhawkes wrote:I am currently running a trial version of X1. I see there s a free version form Yahoo. Could someone explain the differences apart from the price! :twisted:

Thank you.

Hi Peter,

The differences are primarly around consumer versus business use.

X1 Desktop Edition is designed for professional use. It allows you to index and search network file stores and multiple PSTs. It also supports Outlook Express, Eudora and Thunderbird. Beyond the features, you receive a year of upgrades and standard support.

Moving forward, more differences will be built into the products. Yahoo Desktop Search will include features that are directly related to Yahoo content and sites. X1 Desktop Edition will continue to expand business class features.

You can, of course, give both versions a test run. We encourage you to do so. Since they use the same code base, you can only try one at a time, however.
Rob McClinton
Director of Customer Care, X1

My manager is Josh Jacobs
President, X1
Rob
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby w0qj » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:41 pm

On 12-July-2005 Yahoo announced a new beta version of YDS (Yahoo Desktop Search), which now supports Thunderbird email indexing also.
Note that YDS is still in public Beta stage right now; it has not been officially released yet.

What both XDS & YDS can do:
-Index for Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird emails
-Index for files

What XDS can do, but YDS cannot do:
-YDS cannot index network drives
-YDS cannot index Eudora email

What YDS can do, but XDS cannot do:
-XDS cannot index for Yahoo content/site (Yahoo Messenger, Yahoo web search direct access, etc.)

Hope this helps!
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to YDS (Yahoo! Desktop Search) users