Lose settings for screen layout

Current users of the YDS product should use this section of the forum to post questions/answers. This may not be moderated, but is here for existing YDS users to help other users get answers to their questions.

Moderator: Mods

Lose settings for screen layout

Postby Yabba » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:57 am

Hello -----

I use the Yahoo Desktop Search version of X1. Very frequently I find that I lose my custom screen layout.

Personally, I like a minimal display. --- So I want the Preview Pane to be OFF (that's the viewer which shows the document's content). And I do NOT want to see the Searches Pane (which shows the folders on the left side containing various favorite searches). I turn these two panes off manually.

I sometimes close YDS manually and at other times I let my XP Pro do it. However at the next boot YDS will often launch displaying the very items which I do not want to see.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks for any help.
Yabba

PS - my version of Yahoo! Desktop Search is the latest one: Beta 1.2
Yabba

Postby w0qj » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:51 am

Hi, just tried the latest version of YDS, and this seem to be a bug/feature:

yds1852je.exe
Yahoo! Desktop Search 1.2
Build 1852je

Anyways, may we suggest you try the latest version of X1 Enterprise Client v5.5.5 at www.x1.com/download

This is few generations ahead of YDS' version (also made by X1).

In fact, dare we suggest that unless you need the Yahoo! Messenger indexing, XEC v5.5.5 is better for all users. Also, YDS has no Deskbar on the Windows Taskbar, which is a "nice to have".
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Yabba » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:30 am

w0qj wrote:May we suggest you try the latest version of X1 Enterprise Client v5.5.5 at www.x1.com/download

This is few generations ahead of YDS' version (also made by X1).

In fact, dare we suggest that unless you need the Yahoo! Messenger indexing, XEC v5.5.5 is better for all users. Also, YDS has no Deskbar on the Windows Taskbar, which is a "nice to have".

I guess I would have to uninstall YDS to install X1 5.5.6 (presumably X1 moved from 5.5.5 to 5.5.6 since you posted). Is that right?

If I went to X1 from YDS then would I lose the YDS settings such as which folders to choose and which to ignore?

And would I have to re-index my drives again?

Thank you for any info.

Yabba

Postby Kenward » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:18 pm

The move was from 5.5.X to 5.6, although I have no idea of the significance.

Yes, you will have to reindex.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to YDS (Yahoo! Desktop Search) users