Problem Uninstall Yahoo Desktop Search

Current users of the YDS product should use this section of the forum to post questions/answers. This may not be moderated, but is here for existing YDS users to help other users get answers to their questions.

Moderator: Mods

Problem Uninstall Yahoo Desktop Search

Postby munderic » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:53 am

OK, so I decided to uninstall BEFORE I found the new X1 website, so I didn't know that I needed to close a lot of incidences of various programs running in the processes tab. Now I have gone through all my user application folders, local settings, temp, etc, looking for X1, YDS, Yahoo subfolders with YDS, and for that Find... file (cannot remember exactly - it is on the X1 download page) and still get the error message "We noticed that you have a different edition of X1 installed on your computer. In order to proceed please uninstall the existing X1 edition and run this installer again." All of the instructions on uninstall seem to be geared at finding incidences of X1, not the X1 that was branded as YDS. I don't think I've found anything called X1 in any of the folders or in the registry. I also searched in registry for YDS and found only one default file that has Y.D.S. in the binary, but nothing more. Any thoughts? I believe I had an early beta version, but now I don't even know what version it was...
munderic

Postby munderic » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:59 am

OK, figured this out. This is where to go to find the last incidence of Yahoo Desktop that I needed to remove:

Start>>Run>>regedit

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE]>>[Software]>Yahoo Desktop Search

Delete the entire folder called "Yahoo Desktop Search"

That allowed me to install X1. It is indexing now.
munderic

Return to YDS (Yahoo! Desktop Search) users