Free X1 upgrade for previous YDS users?

Current users of the YDS product should use this section of the forum to post questions/answers. This may not be moderated, but is here for existing YDS users to help other users get answers to their questions.

Moderator: Mods

Free X1 upgrade for previous YDS users?

Postby Gerbert » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:39 am

As an ancient YDS user, I previously switched to the free X1 Professional Client Version 5.6.4 for Yahoo! users. And indeed, this remained an absolutely great, free product, that I use on a daily basis.
I wonder if I can now upgrade to the latest version (6.0) for free, or will I be upgrading to a free 30 day trial version? The download site, even if you get there via site form yahoo desktop search, doesn't say anything about a free product for Yahoo! users anymore.
Gerbert

Postby Kenward » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:01 am

If you move to the newer free version of X1, you may well get all of the features that you use with the older version. Only some features disappear after the trial period.

You should check out the release notes and stuff to investigate. It is impossible to sum it all up here, because I don't know what bits you use, but in essence, if you have a simple Outlook system and don't index networked drives you may be OK.

Then again, if I use something on an daily base and it is "absolutely great" I usually end up paying for it. I use X1 as much as I use Acrobat, which costs several arms and legs. Adobe gets my money on sufferance, while I shelled out for X1 willingly. And unlike Adobe, X1 doesn't ask me to shovel more money into its coffers every year.

No, I do not have any connection to X1 beyond that of a long-time paying customer.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to YDS (Yahoo! Desktop Search) users