Outlook pst files always open and connected

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

Postby steved » Thu May 20, 2004 11:21 pm

It looks like X1 always keeps the Outlook PST files it is told to index open at all times. This can affect a few things, like backing them up if they're on a server. Couldn't X1 only open them when it wants to index, and close when it's finished?

While I'm here, does X1 automatically update itself when a new version is available, or do I get email notification?

Thanks.
steved

Postby noel » Fri May 21, 2004 3:22 pm

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, due to the way X1 works with PST files, you must close X1 and Outlook to release the PST file and allow backups.

X1 automatically checks the Internet for updates during startup. If an update is available, the client will prompt you to upgrade.
Noel Ferreria
noel
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby steved » Sat May 22, 2004 1:21 am

Thanks, Noel. Is there a technical reason why X1 hangs on to the PST files like this? I would have thought it could be made to just open/close them when it wanted to do the actual indexing.
steved

Postby rrounds » Thu May 27, 2004 9:36 pm

What I believe the point is that X1 ought to run in an "offline" mode. That is, the indexes would be available when the PST files might not. A good example would be PST files kept on a network server but while travelling I might not have access to them.
rrounds

Postby noel » Fri May 28, 2004 1:36 pm

Hi Steve,

X1 shares the connections made by Outlook to access message stores. When Outlook accesses a message store, it locks it from read/write access. Since X1 shares the connection used by Outlook, the PST file is locked from read/write access.

We have received other requests for a change in X1 that allows PST files to be released. I am not entirely sure if this is possible, but I will add your votes for this change. Hopefully, a method that will allow X1 to work in an "offline" mode will be possible.
Noel Ferreria
noel
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

X1 Holds on to Outlook files.

Postby camposmiguel » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:40 am

Hi Noel,

I just purchased and installed X1 and ran into the same problem. I run Outlook from 2 computers and store the files in a shared folder. X1 is latching on to the Outlook files, even if Outlook is not running because when I go to the second computer I get the error that the file is being used, even though Outlook is not running on the other computer, but X1 is. Once I close X1, the problem goes away.

This I believe is a serious flaw that should be addressed, there is no reason for X1 to hold on to the Outlook file when Outlook is not running. This will create a serious problem specially when it comes time to backup the Outlook files.

For now the only alternative is to shut down X1 and only run it when needed, but this is a shame because X1 is a heck of a good program.

I strongly vote for the program to be changed so that the Outlook files are not kept reserved by X1.

Thanks,
Mike Campos
camposmiguel

Postby vipul » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:53 am

Please add my vote for this. I too would like to see the PST files released once X1 has done with indexing them.

I have put my files on the network server - but due to this problem of PST file kept locked have stopped using X1 for mail search. Am checking to see if it still is worthwhile to pay for the software only for desktop searches - especially when there are products like Hotbot which are free to use.

Regards,

Vipul.
vipul

Postby camposmiguel » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:39 pm

Personally I think this makes the program useless. I am considering asking for a refund from my credit card. This is the year 2004 there is no reason for a company to use any lame excuse that the file needs to be locked up because Outlook locks it up.
Mike Campos
camposmiguel

Understand the answer, but doesn't make sense

Postby philbos » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:01 pm

I get that you use the same connecitons made by Outlook. But, why are they open when you are not indexing? If you are using the OCX and creating an object to do the indexing, why not delete/close/destroy the object? wouldn't that close your use of the connection? Yes, it would take longer to start the access to the PST files, but this wouldn't be a huge hit, would it?
philbos
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby camposmiguel » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:22 pm

The excuse I read was that X1 uses the same connection to the file that Outlook uses, therefore the lock, but X1 retains the lock, even when Outlook is closed. This just does not make sense. As long as X1 is open, the file is locked. Any programmer worth anything can simply change the way this is done. What happens is that the company did not expect people to use X1 in an environment where the PST file is shared.
Mike Campos
camposmiguel

Postby gww » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:34 pm

My system is set to automatically backup PST files. This function is no longer available as long as X1 is running. :(

I too would like to see the PST files released once X1 has done with indexing them. Please add my vote for this.

Thank you,
grant
gww
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby dz006 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:17 am

my vote as well. I have used other systems in the past that use the outlook pst file but only while they are actively accessing them as each outlook item has a unique id that you can use later on.

The only real pain that arises is if you have a password on your PST files so there needs to be a secure way of storing those passwords so that X1 can access the PST files when required.
dz006
dz006
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Requests access to Exchange Server on VPN

Postby saddlerg » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:13 pm

I vote to address this as well...

Working remotely, X1 routinely requests access to my remote Exchange Server after Outlook 2003 is closed.

Getting my mail with Outlook 2003, I connect via VPN to access my mail from my company's Exchange Server.

When finished I close Outlook, and usually close my VPN connection.

At some point afterwards, X1 gives me a message stating that its connection to my Microsoft Exchange has been terminated or lost and requests access.

Its an annoyance more than its a problem, mostly its a needless interruption in my workflow process.

Or me working for the computer... and oh! how I hate when that happens! :roll:
saddlerg

.pst files locked- another point of view

Postby SteveMRose » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:21 pm

I am looking at X1 because another program I use in conjunction with Outlook to index and organize my e-mail constantly loses connection to my .pst files that reside on a shared drive on our server. Believe me, this is a huge problem in that once a connection is lost, you have to close the program AND Outlook to allow the connections to be established again. Once this happens to you, talk about unusable- you get a blank screen when you click on the e-mail in the programs window and your dead in your tracks.

I don't know if that means anything to you, but to me it is a killer.

Just my 2¢.
Steve Rose
SteveMRose

Postby jgomberg » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:04 pm

I maintain several gigabytes of Outlook/Exchange e-mail and attachments. My current OST is in excess of 1.5gb I am getting ready to archive yet another year's e-mail again to lighten its load.

One of the purposes of running X-1 was to be able to use it to search through all of my PST archives as well as my OST. Consequently, my drive, my ram, and my network connections are affected.

Does X-1 look at the date & time stamps, , file sizes, and the files CRC's to determine whether or not there is sufficient change to require reindexing?

Also, Does X-1 reindex the entire file, or does it augment its indexes based on changed files differentials?

If none of the above, have you considered these options?

I've installed, tested, deinstalled, waited for the latest upgrade, and reinstalled several times even though I purchased the product in the hopes that performance will improve. I'd appreciate some feedback.

JGG
jgomberg

Postby noel » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:36 pm

Hi Jgomberg,

X1 goes through the process of incrementally updating the index. Index updates should complete faster than the initial index creation.

As I understand it, X1 looks for changes on the folder level.
Noel Ferreria
noel
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Bozford » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:22 am

Is there any news to report on this front (PSTs/OSTs being locked) since the thread's introduction in May? Is there any Alpha code or attempts to change this being considered, or is it officially a "back burner" thing?

Thanks!
-Bozford
Bozford

Postby noel » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:24 pm

Hi Bozford,

I know that this was a hot topic recently (here at X1). There is nothing new to report on this issue yet. X1 will still behave the same way with respect to PST files.

We are looking at ways around the problem (like options to disable/unlock PST files at certain times in the day to allow backups to run).
Noel Ferreria
noel
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby gww » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:06 pm

like options to disable/unlock PST files at certain times in the day to allow backups to run

That would be very helpful. A suggestion, make that multiple times in a day.

Regards,
grant
gww
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby djrichard » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:05 pm

rrounds wrote:What I believe the point is that X1 ought to run in an "offline" mode. That is, the indexes would be available when the PST files might not. A good example would be PST files kept on a network server but while travelling I might not have access to them.

Yes, exactly. Is this possible? I'm trialing X1 now, but I don't want to conclude it's not possible just based on my own experience.

Thanks!

- David
djrichard

Postby paulceaston » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:57 pm

Any update on this? I don't see any options to schedule times to unlock PST files in the X1 options. Are there plans to provide this option?

What work-arounds have folks used to address this problem? Basically, am I unable to use the Outlook Backup Add-in or backup programs like Synchback to backup up my PST files if I also want to use X1? Do all the Desktop Search tools have this issue?
paulceaston

Postby gww » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:06 pm

Syncback-SE will work, you need to be running Win XP fomated with NTFS.
Regards, grant

Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
Outlook 2007
gww
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby paulceaston » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:42 pm

It will work with X1 running? I will try it again, but I remember it causing me problems in the past. If that doesn't work, Synchback help suggests creating two batch files, one to stop the X1 service(s) and one to start it/them. Synchback can be configured to start a program before and after a backup, in this case the batch files that start and stop X1 services.
paulceaston

Postby paulceaston » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:13 pm

You're correct. I just used Synchback to copy my PST files to an external hard drive with both Outlook and X1 running and open. No crash or error messages and files backed up the way they should. Nice.
paulceaston

Postby hoffi.confusion » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:52 pm

I use a Batch-File to backup daily and shutdown within:

tskill x1
delay command 60 seconds (with BE-Batch Enhancer from Norton)
xcopy pst-files

works really good

Hoffi
hoffi.confusion

Re: Outlook pst files always open and connected

Postby SuperFlyBoy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:04 pm

I was shocked to see this happening on a new laptop I configured (Win10x64) with Outlook 2010 (32 bit) installed.

I had the X1 program open and Outlook reported it could not open the primary *.pst file!

Is this *still* a problem?

I don't recall this happening earlier on Outlook 2007 on Win7x64...but it's been a long time using it on the old laptop, as X1 was a real resource hog...
SuperFlyBoy

Return to Questions and Answers