X1 viewer throws ActiveX error

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

X1 viewer throws ActiveX error

Postby Kenward » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:34 am

I save a lot of web pages as html files with all their attendant furniture. (I use local website archive for this.)

Unfortunately, when X1 finds some ofthese pages, it throws up an error when they hit the viewer:

I don't get this error in my browsers. Is there any setting I can tweak to make this error go away in X1?
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: X1 viewer throws ActiveX error

Postby leeuniverse » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:20 pm

I'm having the exact same problem, and all my ActiveX settings are working fine in all other cases, browsers etc.
I also have a bunch of Templates and want to use X1 to view them, because it's the only way I know to do so easily.
The problem is specifically occurring with the ones that have Flash on them it looks like.
Never had this problem before when I was trying out X1 in years past, but I am on a different system so that may be the issue.

People must know if there is a specific setting in Internet Options, or X1, or in our Firewall that will make it work, cause I can't find it yet.
Also, these files are on an External Hard Drive, so I don't know if that is the issue. Curious how X1 doesn't list the full path either, it just gives some funky long # and then goes into the path.

Using Ver.6.7.2
leeuniverse

Postby leeuniverse » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:43 pm

See more on my efforts to fix this issue here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4500

Basically gave up on the ActiveX issue, no setting or otherwise was able to fix the problem, using instead an older version that works (6.2 'as far as my license will go up to'), and having to fool X1 into indexing my external drive by creating a virtual folder. Hoping that will work. :)
leeuniverse

Postby Kenward » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:30 pm

As a fellow sufferer, my theory is that this issue may be down to the settings in Internet Explorer.

I say that because X1 invokes lots of hidden bits in Internet Explorer when it displays stuff. If Internet Explorer moans, then X1 takes the flak. I see similar conflicts in other software.

With Microsoft rolling out a new version of Internet Explorer I expect to see more grief on this front.

It would be nice, though, if someone at X1 could explain why this happens.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby leeuniverse » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:00 pm

Naw, I don't think so. Because I lower all my IE settings, allowing everything and it still does nothing, as well the html pages with flash work fine on the older X1's that aren't dot net versions, etc. It's simply something related to some security thing of flash, ie, and x1, that just isn't working right with the dot net. Dot Net is a more intensive security related system, so X1 apparently has to adjust for some things for it to work with objects that might pose a security risk. It might do the same thing with video as well I'm guessing, so they might wish to double check that also, and who knows what else.
leeuniverse

Postby Greg Dawes » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:28 pm

For security purposes, we have disabled several features usually found in a full blown browser (like ActiveX support). Since there is no work-around to enable the running of ActiveX scripts within the preview pane, you may not want to use X1 to view your HTML files.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:28 pm

Any chance that you can, in a future version, give users some control over this behaviour? In the same way that it is there in Internet Explorer?

Make this the default behaviour but allow foolhardy individuals to allow this dangerous practice.

After all, Oracles's (Stellent) viewers, the underlying technology, at one stage at least, doesn't exhibit the same behaviour. Not using X1 to preview html files is a bit self defeating.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby leeuniverse » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:00 pm

You guys "disabled it on purpose"???

Man.... You guys don't learn do you?
Do you know how many customers you've lost because of your taking away External Drive support those years past and now to not simply be able to view HTML pages with Flash on them??? Rediculus.... Your system is a "Browser" thus it should work like one. People can have their OWN security settings. There is no reason for your so-called "security". Simply amazing.

Please remove the so-called "security" setting.... Our browsers already have it.
Further, you tell me to "use something else"? There is nothing else that does all that X1 does.
Yes, DocFetcher will view HTML pages properly with Flash, but then it does little else. We still need X1 for viewing everything else.

Anyway.... Please stop "disabling" features in your program. People don't like it at all. :(

Please re-enable ActiveX and whatever else that might be useful in the next version. Thanks :)
leeuniverse

Postby Kenward » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:51 pm

My guess is that this heavy handed "do what we tell you" approach is down to satisfying corporate customers.

If so, default to the "secure" settings and allow those who know what the risks are to turn them off.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby leeuniverse » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:27 pm

Ya.... quite likely. However, I wonder if the ActiveX in X1 would normally simply use the settings that are in the computer already, if so then it doesn't matter because the computer is already set to view it. However, if the X1 browser is completely separate, then you might be right.

I just don't want them to do any extra work if it's too much by them having to create more settings and such. To make the ActiveX and whatever work again all they likely need to do is simply take off the commented out code in the scripting.

Anyway, it's retarded either way. In my mind people that are viewing web pages with X1 know what their viewing because it's THEIR Files, thus likely safe, and if they are using X1 to view HTML files then they know very well that Flash etc. will be on the web pages, and thus they will WANT to view HTML files without any problem. Thus, ultimately it's a bad decision. People viewing web pages will WANT it to work without problem, thus what were they thinking?

Anyway, I've got a working version for the time being. It's just too bad....
leeuniverse

Postby Kenward » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:02 am

Agreed. It isn't really helpful to theorise.

Maybe someone at X1 could explain why they made this decision to hobble the display of html pages.

We may not be able to do anything about it, but at least we would know the logic.

I usually encounter this error when viewing pages I have saved with other software (usually Local Website Archive). If I knew which bits X1 has messed around with, I might be able to change the settings for the stuff I save, or get the software writer to let me save without the bits that give X1 indigestion.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby leeuniverse » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:40 pm

Well, this is my email and the response I got below....
They basically state the 'reason' for the decision is that some users of X1 might be "morons" (artistic license).
Of course, the problem with this that they don't understand is that there is basically no risk at all for ActiveX to be a problem for x1.
1. Everyone already have their systems set for basic security, and if they don't they ARE NOT the "kind" of people who would be using X1.
2. People only search for certain things and in certain kinds of files, thus the likelhood that they would encounter some "bad" ActiveX is slim.
3. You don't disable a "feature" unless you provide a "workaround" for those who want the feature. Their obsession with "unilateral" decisions is simply mindboggling to me. Just like they did with blocking External Drive support years ago. Bet you anything THAT was a "security" decision also.
4. Like I mention below and above, there are many reasons FOR having ActiveX enabled, and really no good reason to have it disabled. The likelyhood of a so-called "real" security issue is extremely slim. Further, if it is so bad (according to their minds, certainly not ours the actual users), then simply create an unselectable OPTION then. Along with that is to simply block the Flash itself, rather than the entire page like Copernic Desktop Search does. X1 makes the viewing of HTML with flash completely NON-USABLE!!! I use X1 to preview my templates, so I can find what I'm looking for. It's not practical at all to have to "open" every single one as they disrespectfully tell me to do.

Anyway, customers DON'T actually want this "security" feature. That's what anti-virus programs are for, which basically anyone who uses X1 would have, especially corporate customers, which is X1's focus. Thus, bad bad decision.... and they aren't listening to their customers, and that's bad customer service. They are also clearly clueless that they are loosing customers by this decision. People try out the program, and see the error, and then think the program sucks and doesn't work. Most people don't actually take the time to officially complain like I do. I know because I have a similar problem at my local library. For months I'm been telling them about a logout problem that occurs for everyone, but I'm the only one who takes the time to complain, and they don't believe me because know-one else has "in writing" complained. I know I haven't used X1 for a long time because they didn't have External Drive support.....

Thus, when is X1 going to listen to their clients and potential clients?

tisk tisk :(

Hello lee, While we can appreciate that for you the viewing of web pages is a safe undertaking it is not true for all of our users. Just because a file is on their system does not mean the user knows what that file is or even meant to put the file on their machine. Because the risk is real, and because we have users of x1 of all levels of understanding the very novice we must play as safely as possible when it comes to system security; thus closing this security risk is the correct action. That said, once you find the item you want if you simply double-click it or use the X1 post search action to Open the selected item in its native application you should have no problem working with the selected item. Sincerely, Chris WheatonCustomer Care RepresentativeX1 Technologies

-----Original Message-----Please re-enable ACTIVEX.... I understand from a response on the forum that it's been disabled for "security" reasons. However, people that are viewing web pages with X1 know what their viewing because it's THEIR Files, thus 100% likely safe, and if they are using X1 to view HTML files then they know very well that Flash etc. will be on the web pages, and thus they will WANT to view HTML files without any problem. Thus, ultimately it's a bad decision to block ActiveX. People viewing web pages will WANT it to work without problem. I don't know why you didn't learn that you lost a lot of customers because of taking away support for external drives. Likewise, you are loosing a customer by making it so we can't view HTML files. Anyway, please re-enable ActiveX for the next version (or tell me how to fix it if possible), there is no "legitimate need" to disable it for security reasons, unless you create an "option" if you really think there is a need. I use and want to use X1 primarily for using my Template Collection, but I can't use it since it blocks every HTML page that has Flash on it. Thank you.... ref:00D3JpR.5003DT9Pd:ref

leeuniverse

Postby Kenward » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:33 am

MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby leeuniverse » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:08 am

So, I'm back...

I stopped using X1 due to life things, and I go and install the "older" version in Windows 10 that used to work in previous Windows, and guess what, it's not compatible or something.
The blue Indexing Link at the bottom right of the Program says "Viewer loading Installation Failed" or something like that, "restart X1". Well, restarting does nothing.

So, I go and try the newer version that still works with my key, even downloaded an update, and the stupid Active X with Flash files on HTML pages is STILL there.
So wonderful, I'm screwed that I can't use ANY X1 version I'm guessing, I'm going to have to buy it again, which sadly I'm just not going to do anytime soon... Ugh :(
leeuniverse

Return to Questions and Answers