Different Results from Near-identical search

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

Different Results from Near-identical search

Postby StevenSeagalLawMan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:54 am

Hello,

I'm getting odd results when searching through emails using the "From" column. The person in question only has one email address, and I'll give you an example of what I mean:

Say I'm looking for emails from Amber Jones. The only email address she uses is amber.jones@widgets.com. I do two searches, which I expect me to yield identical results, come up totally different.

Search A:
In the 'From' column, I just type 'amber.jones' with no quotes. This yields about 100ish emails from that one email address.

Search B:
In the 'From" column, I type 'amber jones' with no quotes. This yields about 600 emails, which would be fine if her name was found in different email addresses. However, they're also all from the same exact email from above from top to bottom.

Any idea why this is or what could be causing this huge discrepancy? Thank you.
StevenSeagalLawMan

Re: Different Results from Near-identical search

Postby Kenward » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:47 am

StevenSeagalLawMan wrote:In the 'From' column, I just type 'amber.jones' with no quotes. This yields about 100ish emails from that one email address.

That amber.jones search throws away the "." in the middle, so you are searching for two words amber and jones. It is effectively X1's amber AND jones. This should reveal itself with amber and jones in different colours.

When you add the quotes "amber jones" it searches for the phrase "amber jones" all in the same colour.

I mention this not to answer your question, but to explain how X1's search works – some people would love to be able to use punctuation in searches – any why, given the eccentric way in which email addresses can appear, contrary to your expectations, you won't get identical results because they are not identical searches.

The disparity in the hit count could be down to where the words appear in the email address.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Questions and Answers