Wild Card Search

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

Wild Card Search

Postby visusllc » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:55 am

I was searching for a file which I knew contained the letters w9 in the name of the file. When I performed the search I received several files that had the letters w9 in them, but I did not find the file I was looking for. Later I found the file by browsing directories manually. It turns out the file name was 'fw9.pdf' I was surprised to learn that X1 couldn't find the file because the file name didn't start with my exact search term 'w9'.

Is there a way to find other files in the future when I can only remember middle parts of file names or terms?

Thank you,

MD
visusllc

Postby w0qj » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:37 pm

There's been a number of requests for wildcard search, but this may greatly affect X1's indexing speed/performance, and maybe even CPU usage.

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=3864#3864

***personally, i would like this sub-string search feature included into X1 as an *optional* advanced feature, with sufficient warning to user that this would adversely indexing performance/time. i did find that i needed this feature about once a month in my daily office work.

there're some technical problems encountered--for example, i would anticipate that you need to complete clear the index and do a new Initial Indexing each time you switch from the sub-string X1 Searching back to the regular X1 search (and vice versa).

<By the way, this "Tips" forum is for sharing user tips from our understanding. Perhaps your question would be better served in the Q&A forum insead...>
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby allgeek » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:17 pm

w0qj wrote:***personally, i would like this sub-string search feature included into X1 as an *optional* advanced feature, with sufficient warning to user that this would adversely indexing performance/time. i did find that i needed this feature about once a month in my daily office work.

there're some technical problems encountered--for example, i would anticipate that you need to complete clear the index and do a new Initial Indexing each time you switch from the sub-string X1 Searching back to the regular X1 search (and vice versa).

I've seen this response many, many times and it kind of bugs me - as a developer, it seems to me that this feature addition should *not* impact indexing in any way (either time to index, or index size; or require rebuilding the index). Rather, it would increase *search* time.

Basically, as the indexes are right now, they are most likely some kind of lookup tables for the individual words found in various documents. I.e., the word 'desktop' is in the index because it occurs in various items, and the entry for 'desktop' points to all of those various items. When you do a search, and type in 'desk', X1 can find it because it does the same thing you would do when you're looking up a word in the dictionary - flips through alphabetically looking for the 'des...' section. It then goes through all of the words that start with 'desk', until it finds the first non-matching word (i.e., 'destination' or something).

So, since it's looking up the words in that manner (using a fast alphabetical index of all possible search words), it can return results very quickly. However, if you wanted to look up all words that had 'top' in them anywhere (including 'desktop'), you would have to go through the entire dictionary trying to match words; since it's no longer a simple alphabetical lookup.

X1 should be able to do the same thing - iterate through the indexes doing substring matches on all possible words, building a list of the matching ones and retrieving documents based on that. Granted, this could take a while - I'm sure there are a TON of words in the index. But nonetheless, this implementation could provide a solution to the substring search problem, without causing any indexing issues - i.e., it could be implemented in the very next version pretty easily, as an advanced feature. It's better than leaving it out - and even having to iterate through all of the search terms is still MUCH faster than the alternative - using Windows search if you absolutely must return substring matches.

So, just add syntax to indicate a substring search (i.e., '*top*' or '*top'), and let the user know this will be much slower but at least it will work. No need to make it a configurable option or anything, as it won't impact indexing for users that don't want to use that search syntax.

Just one coder's opinion. I'm following the X1 development along with many other destkop search products, and the lack of substring matches is a big negative to me.
allgeek

Postby goggin » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:20 am

I'd like to see this feature added FOR FILENAMES ONLY. I can live with the requirement that search stings always be at the start of a "word" except in filenames...that's the one place where I need to be able to find phrases that are embedded anywhere in the filename.

BTW, since Windows Explorer will find embeded strings in filenames, it's a step backward in functionality that X1 doesn't also do this.

Thanks!
--
dgg
goggin
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Wild card search of filenames.

Postby cablefreak » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:58 am

For the wild card search of filenames I´m using a small programm called Cathy: http://rvas.webzdarma.cz/
cablefreak

Postby w0qj » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:21 pm

I also support partial string search for file names,
with this also applies to email attachment file names too...
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Finding Files using Partial File names

Postby balaya » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:30 pm

I also support this need, I'd like to see this feature added FOR FILENAMES ONLY, we should be able to find a partial file name.
I was showing my freind how good is X1, and his first request was to find a file using a partial name, and here we go, he thinks X1 is not working and start making jokes on me.
balaya

Re: Wild Card Search

Postby impo1106 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:32 am

I absolutely need this feature. I'm upset i even bought X1 :(
impo1106

Postby Kenward » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:40 am

impo1106 wrote:I absolutely need this feature. I'm upset i even bought X1 :(

Didn't you use the free trial period?

Maybe X1 offers a money back offer for the first 30 days, as is common practice with some software.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Abdul69 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:09 am

So in 2017, I am trialing X1 and go to find a file, that I can remember part of the name of, and find, that it cannot be found in X1, but it can be found with Windows Search.

The search results are broken, IMHO, if it cannot find hits on partial names of files. 95% of the time I will be searching on a partial name. To not find those hits is to be effectively useless.

EDIT: So further investigation yields that it DOES find file names on partial names if the search terms are partial names at the start of the file name, or match the start of words that comprise the overall file name (where words are separated in the file name by spaces or underscores). e.g, searching on "two" will return file "onecat_twocats_threecats.txt", but searching on "cat" or "cats" won't find anything.

Having the ability to find the starts of other (or secondary) words, is something, I suppose, but still not ideal. This was my first real use test of the latest X1 version, based on a partial term (for file searches) and in my opinion, it failed that test, because I could not find a file even though I had quite a large portion of the file name entered as the search term. The most important thing to me in a search result is accuracy/validity of the results. I would sacrifice speed on a file name search (even if I have to put in wild card characters in the search term to trigger the behavior) to know that I got ALL the results.
"Don't believe everthing you think."
Abdul69

Return to Questions and Answers