How to delete search history

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

How to delete search history

Postby Kenward » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:09 am

This one deserves a place in the stickies.

Greg Dawes wrote:There is not a simple method of removing your existing X1 Deskbar search history. Additionally, we've had users request the ability to remove their search history from the X1 Outlook Toolbar as well as to remove all of their X1 search history (X1 Deskbar + X1 Outlook Toolbar).

I've automated this process by creating three separate zip files that remove the applicable registry entries. You will only need to download and run one of the files.

Download the applicable .ZIP file and run the included .REG file.

- To clear all of your X1 search history (X1 Deskbar + X1 Outlook Toolbar): http://www.x1.com/cs/x1_clear_search_history.zip
- To clear your history from just the X1 Deskbar: http://www.x1.com/cs/x1_clear_deskbar_s ... istory.zip
- To clear your history from just the X1 Outlook Toolbar: http://www.x1.com/cs/x1_clear_outlook_t ... istory.zip

For this change to take effect, you will need to restart Outlook, close/open the X1 Deskbar or you can simply choose to restart your computer.

I hope this helps!
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: How to delete search history

Postby cdavidanderson » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:09 pm

Very helpful in solving the "can't get rid of it" entries that seem to randomly given eternal life in X1 via registry entries. Thanks
cdavidanderson

Postby SeismicGuy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:09 pm

How about how to remove the series of search terms that appear in the "Search" box of the main program screen. I cannot find where these are stored and a default term always shows up automatically.

Doug
SeismicGuy

Postby tjh » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:00 pm

I don't have this version install currently, but can't you just right click and say clear?
I forget exactly, but I'm sure it's possible.
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Greg Dawes » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:29 pm

SeismicGuy wrote:I cannot find where these are stored and a default term always shows up automatically.
Doug
Doug,

Try just manually removing the search term you no longer want to see and then click File > Save. This should overwrite the existing search criteria.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Chris Wheaton » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:42 am

Doug - I think what you're looking or is a way to clear the search history drop-down in X1 version 6.7.X.

We have a KB item for this one:

How do I delete my search history within X1?

If you are looking to clear the search history that resides directly within the X1 user-interface, then there is a searchhistory.xml file that you need to delete. This XML will reside in your X1 index/data directory and you can determine the exact path by opening X1 and clicking on Tools > Options > Indexing and looking in the Current Location field.

Then, using Windows Explorer, navigate to the index/data folder and delete the searchhistory.xml file. By default, the file is located here (yours may be in a different location):

Windows XP Users
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\X1 Desktop Search
(**If you do not see the Local Settings folder, then from Windows Explorer, click on Tools > Folder Options > View and make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is selected**)

Windows Vista/Win7 Users
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\X1 Desktop Search
(**If you do not see the AppData folder, then from Windows Explorer, press the ALT key and click on Tools > Folder Options > View and make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is selected**

I think this will address your actual request.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Return to Questions and Answers