Why is my anti-virus reporting an X1 file as a virus?

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

Why is my anti-virus reporting an X1 file as a virus?

Postby Greg Dawes » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:27 pm

X1 takes active measures to prevent the introduction of a virus into our product and also takes any report of a positive test result seriously and works with the anti-virus (antivirus) vendors to resolve these issues. To date, all previous positive results have been identified as "false-positives" and have been resolved by the anti-virus vendor updating their virus definition files.

However, virus definition files can change on a daily basis and many anti-virus vendors also use statistical techniques to identify potential viruses. Unfortunately, some of the activities that X1 must perform in order to quickly and efficiently index your data are some of the same activities that the anti-virus products use in their statistical identification processes.

We have verified that our currently shipping products are not infected by a virus, but understand that you may be wary after receiving a false-positive identification. For peace of mind, we recommend that you go to the following website and upload the questionable file for scanning:

- http://www.virustotal.com/

The file will be scanned against the most recent virus definition files by over 30 different vendors. This result should help reassure you that the X1 file is safe to use.

If your anti-virus application indicates that there is a virus in our of our files, please post all of the pertinent information provided by your anti-virus provider and we will work with them directly to update their virus definition files and resolve the false-positive result.

Thanks!
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Tod » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:36 am

Just wanted to remind everyone to let us know if you get an Anti-virus false positive hits against X1. We are especially interested in anyone running Prevx 2.0. The web tool we run shows a false positive, but running Prevx 2.0 itself on our desktop result in no false positives. We would be intested in hearing from actual Prevx users for their experiences.
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Re: Why is my anti-virus reporting an X1 file as a virus?

Postby Kenward » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:09 am

Sophos insists that:

C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Temp\X1Server\message.scr

is

W32/Netsky-P

It has been doing this for years.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Questions and Answers