How To Force X1 To Re-Index

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

How To Force X1 To Re-Index

Postby digl » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:43 am

Hi There,

[Re: X1 stopped indexing suddenly and manually not possible]

I used X1 since 1 year desparately.
since last week, the tool left me... thats how I am feeling.
X1 stopped indexing of my Outlook emails and all files on my computer suddenly and a manual start is not working anymore. I already deinstalled X1 and reinstalled it, but no change.
Any idea, how I can solve this and get X1 back doing the index?
On top of this, the index file seamed to be lost. Which is not too bad, as I can reindex again, if I could start it manually.
Thanks a mil upfront
Digl
digl

Postby Kenward » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:59 am

Which version of X1 are you using?

What symptoms do you see?

Have you looked at the settings for Outlook indexing? Does it show the correct "Folders to scan"?

I am shooting in the dark here as you haven't really provided enough detail for a proper assessment of what might have gone wrong.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby digl » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:38 am

thanks MK!
Which version of X1 are you using?
> X1 ® Desktop Search Version 5.5.2
What symptoms do you see?
> no symptons. X1 is simply not starting the auto nor the manual indexing. before, when I started the manual indexing, I saw in the row at the bottom, that the indexing is processing with certain %ages. nothing now.
Have you looked at the settings for Outlook indexing? Does it show the correct "Folders to scan"?
> yes, i did. I changed it to only one PST folder. but same results > no indexing anymore.
I am happy to provide more details, but do not know what is needed on top of this.
Thanks a mil for your support
digl

Postby Greg Dawes » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:00 pm

Hi digl,

Based on your description of the problem, it appears that you are experiencing a known bug in your currently installed version of X1; this issue has been resolved in subsequent versions.

Therefore, the following steps "may" bring back your current index:

1. Close X1 and Outlook using File > Exit
2. In your X1 Desktop Search index folder, create a new folder called "old index". Your X1 index folder is located here by default:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\X1 Desktop Search\
(**If you do not see the Local Settings folder, then from Windows Explorer, click on Tools > Folder Options > View and make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is selected**)
3. Locate and move all .DAT files located in your index folder into "old index"
4. Restart X1
5. Scanning should automatically resume within several minutes
6. Once you have verified that scanning/indexing has started, click File > Exit
7. Locate your index folder again and delete all .DAT files located in the "X1 Desktop Search" folder
8. Copy (or move) all .DAT files from the "old index" folder to the "X1 Desktop Search" folder
9. Restart X1 and you should have your indexes back

If the above steps to recover your existing index files do not work, then you will need to rebuild your index by following steps 1-5 above.

I hope these steps resolve your issue.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby digl » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:49 pm

Hello Greg,
excellent. Thanks a mil. It works. I simply deleted all my dat files and build the new index, as it did not start again after I moved back my DAT files to the earlier folder. the folder hava a slight different naming in my X1. anyway, it works again. Thanks! one question: why did I get impacted by this bug? How can I prevent this from happening again?
Regards
Digl
digl

Postby Greg Dawes » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:47 pm

digl wrote:why did I get impacted by this bug? How can I prevent this from happening again?
Hi digl,

We did have a number of users experience this issue and we believe that it had to do with the computer entering "Standby" mode.

To prevent this bug moving forward, you should upgrade your currently installed version of X1 to our latest version.

Thanks.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby digl » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:05 am

Thanks Greg,
In my company I can only download 5.5.2 which I already use. Where can I download the latest version?
Best Regards
Diana
digl

Postby Greg Dawes » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:30 am

digl wrote:Where can I download the latest version?
Diana,

You can download the latest version of X1 from our website: http://www.x1.com/download/evaluation/
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Return to Questions and Answers