How To Enable MS OneNote 2007 Text-Only-Search

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

How To Enable MS OneNote 2007 Text-Only-Search

Postby PMHCSLimited » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:25 am

It would be realy good if OneNote 2007 was supported for search and preview. :D
Peter R Hawkes
Director
PMH Computer Systems Ltd
PMHCSLimited

Postby Greg Dawes » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:47 am

Hi,

We've got a Knowledge Base, http://www.x1.com/support/kb.html, item that addresses this question. I'm reposting the article here for ease:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

We don't currently provide support for MS OneNote by default. However, if you currently have Microsoft OneNote installed on your computer, then you should have a corresponding IFilter automatically installed on your computer which will allow X1 to index (but not preview) OneNote files.

Therefore, you should be able to index the content of OneNote files using these steps:

1. In X1, go to Tools > Options > Files > More Indexing Options > Specify File Types
2. In the "Additionally index all files with these extensions:" dialog, enter: .ONE
3. Click Close, then OK
4. Update your file index manually by clicking the "Index Files Now" button

Once your index is updated, you should be able to perform searches against your OneNote documents.

Please note, that this IFilter only supports text extraction (searching) and you will not be able to preview the OneNote documents.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby chgoguy7 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:16 pm

Could you please tell us if/when support for OneNote preview will be implemented?

Scanning the X1 v6.0 RC notes, I see no mention of OneNote, which is troubling. If the answer is that implementation of OneNote preview is being delayed (even indefinitely) by Microsoft withholding needed information/technical specs then this would certainly be understood (knowing MS's territorial ferocity), but any response to this post would be preferable to none.

Incidentically, (and I know other users have made similar mention of this) OneNote usage in my very large, global organization, and in many colleagues' organizations, is growing exponentially, so full X1 support of OneNote should be a feature request at the top of the list.

Thanks in advance for a response to this post! :D
chgoguy7

Postby Kenward » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:53 am

When it comes to viewing files, I think you will find that X1 is in the same boat as many other software houses. They buy their viewer technology from Stellent, now a part of Oracle.

The x1 credits acknowledge "Outside in Technology". If you are interested in seeing the formats that this supports, then you can follow this link.

Experience suggests that Outside In Technology is slow to add new formats that are not mainstream.

The X1 folks may have another explanation, but I hardly think that you are going to get an answer to your own theorising. The lawyers would have a field day.

If the conspiracy theories do hold water, then there may be a slight glimmer of hope in the latest news from Europe. It seems that the European Commission has achieved something that is beyond the supine regulators in the USA and has forced that nice Mr Gates to open up his software secrets to the competition. The LA Times is one of many reporting this development.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby chgoguy7 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:03 am

Thanks for much for your reply. Obviously X1 is working within the constraints of its partners, which is certainly understandable.

An interesting note: prior to X1, I was using Copernic Desktop Search. I had to also manually add the OneNote file extension in CDS for these files to be included in my indexing/searches. However, the OneNote search results in CDS, when highlighted, did in fact display a preview of the OneNote files. These previews did not retain any formating (i.e., they were displayed in plain text format) but they were better than nothing. Might be interesting to see how they were able to accomplish that much.

Again, thanks for your reply!
chgoguy7

Postby Kenward » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:19 am

Good point. In the standalone version of the Stellent viewers, QuickView Plus, you can tell it to show stuff it does not recognise as plan text, or code etc. I don't know if the add in stuff allows that.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Questions and Answers