How long to index just email?

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

How long to index just email?

Postby Forumqnis » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:20 am

X1 6.6.5 (3926) | Vista 64 | Intel Core i7 3.33 GHz 12GB RAM

I have 20 PST files averaging 1GB each. Approximately how long should it take to index those if (1) NOT keeping copies of email in index, (2) Indexing priority is to Never Delay, (3) NOT indexing email in real-time, and (4) File indexing is set to Never; i.e., only the email and attachments are being indexed. With Outlook not running most of the time, it took 12 hours to index all the email. I know that 20GB is a lot, but 12 hours still seems very slow.
Forumqnis
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Re: How long to index just email?

Postby Jim Lievens » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:12 am

A new user here with the same question. I'm using the latest build (6.7.4) and need to index about 15 PST files only - I'm not indexing anything else on my system. All of the PST files reside on this desktop, as opposed to the network. I started the index yesterday about noon, and as of this morning the indexing process is only about 25% complete. I should also note that the PC that's involved is a shared workstation that's currently only used for a research project - so there's no other activity taking place.

Just how long should the indexing process take?
Jim Lievens

Postby Chris Wheaton » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:54 am

Jim - The way you're using the X1 Desktop Search is a bit outside the products design. That said, let me explain the indexing process.

Your unique use case creates a situation where you are creating and recreating the "Initial Index". The initial index pass is the "heaviest" of the index operations X1 Desktop can perform and generally averages 3-5 items per second. Thus, the length of time is not dictated by the number of PST files to be indexed, but by the number of individual email items contained in those PST files.
A set of PSTs containing say 300,000 email items could take about 12-16 hours of uninterrupted indexing to build that initial index.

I would respectfully submit that you might be better served using our X1 Rapid Discovery solution, a solution designed for the unique needs of Discovery and Compliance investigation or ECA. For more on that product visit www.x1discovery.com.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Jim Lievens » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:25 am

You are right that Rapid Discovery might be more appropriate, but the price is a bit out of my reach. Before purchasing a group of licenses for X1 Professional, we did consider the Rapid Discovery. I was quoted an initial price of $25,000.

Most of our audit work is done with the same set of PST files for an extended period of time (maybe 8 or 9 months). It's only at the end of the project that we begin to review a smaller number of files. So I guess I'll just deal with the time delay on indexing - as opposed to spending $25,000!
Jim Lievens

Postby Kenward » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:18 pm

Jim Lievens wrote:as of this morning the indexing process is only about 25% complete

Don't be confused by that 25%. To begin with it is an accurate reflection of the work done. But over time is gets less reliable as things interrupt the indexing process.

As I understand it, the progress thing shows the amount done since it last started indexing. So it could say 25% when it has just started indexing the last 10% of your files.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Questions and Answers