Drive letters replaced by long sequence of characters

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

Drive letters replaced by long sequence of characters

Postby gt13 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:55 am

I have installed version 6.7.1 for testing (the PC works with Windows Vista).

Instead of a normal drive letter for my USB drive (I mean something like H:\), I get a long sequence of characters.
The path of the files on this disk is something like
[1234-ab23-7890-0123]\tmp\
You can see a screen copy here : http://snipurl.com/10w8qy

Any idea to solve this annoying behavior ?

Thanks
Gerard
I need a desktop search engine that indexes removable drives, network drives, Thunderbird, image's metadata, Evernote, and works fine with accented letters.
gt13
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Re: Drive letters replaced by long sequence of characters

Postby tjh » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:48 am

X1 does this so that you can use USB Drives.
Imagine if next week you plugged in a different USB drive with different files you wanted indexed, but Windows gave it the same drive letter. You'd lose the index that X1 had for it.

So X1, quite cleverly in my opinion, uses a hash (based on what I don't know) so that removeable drives can be uniquely ID'd.

It doesn't look pretty, but it does give you removeable drive support. Why does it matter? If there's a valid reason it's annoying then maybe X1 will "mask" the hash into a drive letter. But it would still be confusing if you'd indexed 3 different H drives and you were looking at search results!
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby gt13 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:02 pm

OK. I see.
But I don't agree :) :
- The X1 version that I use since years displays the drive letter, and I prefer this way by a lot.
- It is easy to force the external drives to always get the same drive letter. And I do so for all the drives that I index.
- 2 characters (H:) take much less space on the screen than 21 characters. And I prefer to have useful information on my screen!
- Even if X1 uses a unique sequence of characters to recognize the drive, it could use its present letter for displaying on screen.

Gerard
I need a desktop search engine that indexes removable drives, network drives, Thunderbird, image's metadata, Evernote, and works fine with accented letters.
gt13
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby tjh » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:17 pm

gt13 wrote:OK. I see.
But I don't agree :) :
- The X1 version that I use since years displays the drive letter, and I prefer this way by a lot.
- It is easy to force the external drives to always get the same drive letter. And I do so for all the drives that I index.
- 2 characters (H:) take much less space on the screen than 21 characters. And I prefer to have useful information on my screen!
- Even if X1 uses a unique sequence of characters to recognize the drive, it could use its present letter for displaying on screen.

Gerard

Ahh, but the X1 of years doesn't support removable drives!
Agree it's easy to force drives to get certain letters, but most end-users don't know how to do that.

Think of this situation: You have 5 hard disks, all with ~2gb of data on them. When you (a not-so-technical-end-user) plug them in, they're all given the same drive letter.
When you're searching in X1, how do you tell the data apart? Even the drive name might be a default (or unnamed) so X1's choice is really the only logical way.

I agree it could probably be presented to the end-user a little clearer.
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby gt13 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:21 pm

tjh wrote:Ahh, but the X1 of years doesn't support removable drives!

Mine do so. See my signature.
gt13
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby leeuniverse » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Hey GT13...., I was getting an ActiveX error with the latest X1 when
viewing HTML pages that have Flash or whatever in them, and also tried
another slightly older version and it did the same, so I tried
installing the old version you're using. But, this version isn't even
showing ANY HTML pages at all. It only shows the standard "can't
display webpage" message. Of course, I'm only 50% through indexing my
Templates, but it does say the page is already indexed. Does yours
show HTML pages okay? I know my other old version and the new version
should likely work, as well as your old version, but they aren't on
this system. Although, the other two versions will show HTML pages,
but just not the ones with Flash I guess on them. I think the issue
is some new security setting with Flash. Cause, I've checked ActiveX
controls, my AVG, etc., and can't figure out what might be causing the
conflict.

Anyway, my present issue is wondering why your old version is not even
showing any webpage, giving the page error. It does images and texts
fine, but not webpages?

Thoughts?

Forgot to mention that one of the reasons I used your version is, that
it does indeed work on External/USB drives, which is where my
Templates are. It's also amazing how FAST it works also. The new
version and even my old one sure are resource hogs.... They should
scrap what they have done and start over with the old version.
My previous version I had didn't work for an external drive, but of
course the new version could.

So anyone.... Is there a version out there that will work properly in displaying Flash, work with External Drives, and work with an updated IE?

Thanks

I'm on Xpsp3, IE8 all updated....
leeuniverse

Postby gt13 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:45 am

Hi,
Indeed, I get the "can't display webpage" on some pages (in fact, I get it in French: "Ce programme ne peut pas afficher la page Web"), but on some other pages, the page displays perfectly. I never tried to understand the reason why some pages display fine and some other don't.
I am here on XP SP3, but at home I am on Vista, and there is no difference.
Regards
Gerard
gt13
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby leeuniverse » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:39 pm

Hmm.... Strange....

Well, further testing and all the Dot Net version it looks like have the ActiveX error when an HTML page has flash on it.
Other later versions work fine in displaying the webpages, but then don't have External Drive support.
Further research through the Change Log and it looks like the reason your version won't view webpages is because IE7+ isn't supported. So, up until then pages likely won't view on my system since I have IE8. But, then all those versions after yours don't support External Drives.

I have some 50GB's of Templates that I simply can't put on my main harddrive, so I need External Drive support.
I'm at a loss.... No version will work for me fully. :( X1 simply needs to fix that ActiveX error.... That seems to be the only solution.
I am however surprised you are able to view "some" webpages on BOTH of your systems with your version. Do you have only IE7 on them? Maybe that's why, so it can view some but not all, but with IE8 I can't view any??? Strange...

X1... Is there any sort of "workaround" with the ActiveX problem?
I mean, I don't want to have to have TWO different programs installed to do what I need. I've found out that "DocFetcher" works fine in viewing HTML pages. But unfortunately it doesn't support images, psd's, etc. I tried Copernic also and it will show the webpages, but the Flash itself won't play, and their viewer will not view psd's.

Help X1.... I want to be a customer, but this is nuts. I still can't believe you guys removed and didn't have external drive support for so long. I wouldn't be having this issue then.
leeuniverse

Postby leeuniverse » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:29 pm

Well, what I will likely do in the meantime is use one of the versions that work in displaying the pages, and then create a Virtual Drive by mounting it creating a fake directory and fool X1 into indexing that virtual folder, per the instructions in another thread. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3048
I'll do the Microsoft KB article version, since I have XPpro. Hopefully that will work.

Might be a better thing anyway since the Dot Net versions are so SLOW, and then I don't have to wait for a proper version with the activex problem fixed.

Wish me luck... :)
leeuniverse

Postby leeuniverse » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:16 am

Well... I did the External Drive "jury rig".... and all is well. See here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3048
leeuniverse

Postby gt13 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:57 am

Just to say that my default html browser is Firefox
gt13
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Kenward » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:43 am

gt13 wrote:Just to say that my default html browser is Firefox

But there is still a lot of Internet Explrer in there "under the hood", almost at the operating system level.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Questions and Answers