Cut and Paste

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

Cut and Paste

Postby Stuart606162 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:26 am

Sorry, when I used Copy and Paste successfully, I was copying the contents of a file. I am trying to reorganize files into different subdirectories and would like to Cut and Paste entire groups of files. If I use Go TO FOLDER, it opens Windows Explorer once for every file in a range of files selected. So that doesn't help. If it only opened each unique folder from a selected range once, I could use that.
Stuart
Stuart606162

Re: Cut and Paste

Postby Kenward » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:37 pm

Stuart

From your other message, it seems that you are using a very old version of X1 that was given away. Was that the Yahoo! version?

There may be a few people here who still use that version, but I doubt it.

Having said that, it appears that you are trying to use X1 as a file manager. X1 can do various things, but you may have landed on stuff that you can't even do with paid for versions.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Stuart606162 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:07 pm

> Yahoo?
No, I did a search to replace Google Desktop and got it from a download site.
If the paid version would Cut and Paste groups of selected files into a new subdirectory, I would purchase it. It sounds like it will not.
Stuart606162

Postby Kenward » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:22 pm

Stuart606162 wrote:> Yahoo?
If the paid version would Cut and Paste groups of selected files into a new subdirectory, I would purchase it. It sounds like it will not.

You are wandering in to dangerous territory talking about "a download site". Fortunately, I don't work for X1 so don't have to worry about software pirates.

If you are seriously interested in finding out what X1 can do, then you can try it for a while by downloading the current version. Only 14 days. But enough to show if it can do what you want.

Don't forget, though, that X1 is not a file manager. If you want heavyweight software in that domain, then try something like Directory Opus. But that costs even more than X1.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Stuart606162 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Kenward wrote:
Stuart606162 wrote:> Yahoo?

You are wandering in to dangerous territory talking about "a download site". Fortunately, I don't work for X1 so don't have to worry about software pirates.

If you are seriously interested in finding out what X1 can do, then you can try it for a while by downloading the current version. Only 14 days. But enough to show if it can do what you want.

Don't forget, though, that X1 is not a file manager. If you want heavyweight software in that domain, then try something like Directory Opus. But that costs even more than X1.

I have a totally legal version of X1 - X1 ® Enterprise Client Version 5.6.3
(Build 3453) (Created: Tue Apr 3 18:08:43 PDT 2007) - downloaded I believe with X1's blessings - and not updated since.
Lectures about software pirates are totally rude and offensive. Your apology would be appreciated.
Yes, X1 is not a file manager but it could be easily and I would pay for it in a minute if it were - and was hoping to hear from X1.
Stuart606162

Postby Kenward » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:46 pm

Stuart606162 wrote:Your apology would be appreciated.

I am happy to apologise if I got it wrong. But you wrote:

Stuart606162 wrote:I did a search to replace Google Desktop and got it from a download site.

This is often a sign of dubious practices, especially when the "download site" remains anonymous. My comment is based on previous experience of seeing references here to dodgy downloads.

If you paid for X1 5.6.3 – something that you did not mention previously – rather than the Yahoo version that I mentioned, which you did not reply to, then you can visit the support area to see which version you are now entitled to download and use.

Unfortunately, you may well find that the most recent version available is 6.2, which is itself pretty ancient.

Your version was released on Thursday April 5, 2007, which makes it geriatric by software standards.

If you want the authors of X1 to add features, then they seem to be open to suggestions. But as they are in the middle of a major beta programme, which is now open to anyone to join in the fun, I doubt if you will get very far at the moment.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Questions and Answers