Can't remove non existent pst files from index!

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

Can't remove non existent pst files from index!

Postby bold » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:03 am

This is becoming a pain!

I have a lot of archive PST files which are in my index - however I re-organised and deleted some of these from my PC. X1, however, still thinks they need to be indexed and goes searching for them which is a pain as it comes up with loads of messages when I turn on the PC.

Now, I went to the SELECT FOLDERS TO SCAN setting in options but it is impossible to remove the old, non existent files! I select them and hit the REMOVE PST FILE button but nothing happens or changes.

So... I uninstalled X1 (using Revo) selecting the option to remove settings, cleaned the registry, did a search for anything left behind and deleted anything associated with X1... and then when I reinstalled nothing had changed and it still listed those old files!

So, my question is this: how can I remove the non existent files from X1 - is there perhaps a file or registry setting where they can be manually deleted. I don't mind if I have to reindex the whole computer again, I just want to get rid of those files!

Thanks!

PS using X1 6.2 - I tried the free trial of the latest version but that was exactly the same!
bold

Re: Can't remove non existent pst files from index!

Postby Kenward » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:03 am

Have you looked at your Mail Profiles to see that they do not also refer to the missing PST?

X1 picks up a lot of its information from the Profile. If it says that you have a PST database attached to Outlook, then X1 assumes that Outlook isn't lying.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby bold » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:26 am

Perfect. So easy... if you know how!

Thanks so much!
bold

Postby Kenward » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:33 pm

If you have made as many mistakes as I have, you learn these things.

Glad it worked for you.

Maybe X1 needs to be clearer with messages.

It would be great if it could warn you if you try to tell it to forget a PST file that is embedded in a Profile.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Questions and Answers