Adding searchable words to a PDF

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

Adding searchable words to a PDF

Postby Deadbolt » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:30 am

I have the current version of X1 and I'm trying to add searchable words to a PDF file. I own Adobe Acrobat X Pro and have tried adding words as meta data, as a "text note" and various other things to add a word that I can search on.

My end goal (for example) is to have a folder of all my credit card statements and be able to quickly search for say, my account number but add the parameter "not reconciled". Letting me quickly find CC statements or receipts, etc that are or are not reconciled.

TIA

Kevin
Deadbolt

Re: Adding searchable words to a PDF

Postby Kenward » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:48 pm

How do you create these PDF files? With a scanner?

Have you run optical character recognition on the scanned image?

Acrobat can do this. Just check it in the Help file.

Or are you talking about adding some sort of label that X1 can find?

It isn't clear to me exactly what you are trying to achieve.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: Adding searchable words to a PDF

Postby Deadbolt » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:17 am

They are scanned and they are scanned with a ScanSnap S1500 (awesome scanner) and run through Adobe Acrobat Pro X. I can search on any of the words that are already there but I can't find a way to ADD words to a OCR'ed document that X1 will find.

EXAMPLE: I search with X1 for these words "AMEX", "2012" and "OfficeDepot" and it finds a PDF of my AMEX statement from April that, sure enough has a charge from OfficeDepot. But I'd like to ADD a word to that PDF, such as "RECONCILED" so now if I want to find all my UNRECONCILED statements that have a charges for I could use the same search but just add "NOT RECONCILED" to the search.

Just a dumb little example but it represents about a dozen scenarios where adding an indexed, searchable word to an Acrobat file would be very, very handy.

I've tried adding a "sticky note" to the PDF but that will not index, I've gone into the properties of the document added "keywords" there and tried added meta-data keywords but nothing I've tried has made any of those things "searchable".

TIA

Kevin
Deadbolt

Return to Questions and Answers