"This tab has no index" X1 keeps dropping its index

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

"This tab has no index" X1 keeps dropping its index

Postby Messinger » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Is there a suggested diagnostic regimen to locate the cause of X1 always dropping its index?

My installation of X1 is running on Windows 7 (64-bit version). It seems to index just fine but, eventually, I'll run X1 and find "This tab has no index" on every tab. It's as if the index was never created.

The support instructions are to try to locate an application that is locking the files. The solution is supposed to be to close applications. Uh, have you seen how many processes and applications are running in Windows? I've excluded the folder containing my index from Windows search and as many other indexing or scanning applications as I can. But I still end up with the same result; after going through the lengthy process of creating the index, I find (a day or two later) that it no longer exists.

Is this a problem which has only occurred in recent versions of X1? Or, is this a problem that's related to Windows 7? I've only recently moved to a Window 7 machine and only recently upgraded to 6.7.4.
Messinger

Re: "This tab has no index" X1 keeps dropping its index

Postby Kenward » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:06 am

Messinger wrote:Is this a problem which has only occurred in recent versions of X1? Or, is this a problem that's related to Windows 7? I've only recently moved to a Window 7 machine and only recently upgraded to 6.7.4.

Also on 64-bit Windows 7, I have not seen this error. So it is probably something else.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Messinger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Kenward wrote:
Messinger wrote:Is this a problem which has only occurred in recent versions of X1? Or, is this a problem that's related to Windows 7? I've only recently moved to a Window 7 machine and only recently upgraded to 6.7.4.

Also on 64-bit Windows 7, I have not seen this error. So it is probably something else.

Unfortunately, X1 doesn't provide much assistance - at least, that is, not much that I've been able to locate - to identify which of the many services and applications that run with Windows could be the cause of this problem.

Copernic doesn't seem to have the same problem. I prefer X1 - I paid for X1. But it's index is far, far too fragile and unreliable on my Windows 7 laptop.

Does anyone have any experience with actually solving this problem?
Messinger

Postby Kenward » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:34 am

Have you submitted a support request?

Even if your service has lapsed the folks at X1 seem to be helpful.

Don't forget, this isn't really an official support place, just somewhere for fellow users to huddle, albeit under the benevolent eye of X1's fine code writers.

Any talk of things on laptops always make me think that "hibernation" might be implicated.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Questions and Answers