Specific folders not being searched

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

Specific folders not being searched

Postby Hapkido » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:02 am

I am having a problem getting X1 Pro 6.7.4 to even recognize specific folders on my C:\ drive when doing searches. I have enabled a second drive "J:\", which is my backup drive in the Options to be included in scans and files on that drive are recognized and show up in search results. An example might help me convey what my problem is.

- Click on "files"
- Type in "blending" in the main search box
- Search results show mostly files on the J:\ backup drive
- Narrow the search by typing in "C:\Tips and Tricks" for path and ".wmv: or "wmv" in the Document type column.
- Result is always "The current search has no results to display"

This also happens with several other folders on my main "C:\" drive. But in the particular case, it seems that X1 simply does not recognize the "C:\Tips and Tricks" folder as even existing. I have "Everything (all files)" selected for C:\ drive in the Options/Indexing/files/Select Files to Scan. This is my Vista SP2 Pro system.
Hapkido

Re: Specific folders not being searched

Postby Kenward » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:03 am

This isn't, by any chance, a "Hidden" folder, or one buried somewhere within a system folder?

By "Hidden" I mean one set with the "Attribute" "Hidden".

Unlikely if it shows up in Windows Explorer, but you may have Windows set not to hide "Hidden" files and folders.

Does that folder show up when you go the File Indexing Options"?

Expand C and ensure that the folder shows up.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Hapkido » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:52 am

Kenward wrote:This isn't, by any chance, a "Hidden" folder, or one buried somewhere within a system folder?

By "Hidden" I mean one set with the "Attribute" "Hidden".

Unlikely if it shows up in Windows Explorer, but you may have Windows set not to hide "Hidden" files and folders.

Does that folder show up when you go the File Indexing Options"?

<cut> image

Expand C and ensure that the folder shows up.

1. No, the folder is not "Hidden". The path is: "C:\Tips and Tricks"

2. Yes, the folder is in the File Indexing Options tree.

Hapkido

Postby Kenward » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:51 am

OK, just checking the most obvious possibilities.

How long has X1 been at work? It takes some time, hours, for a first run. (That's why some of us leave it overnight after a new install.) Maybe it hasn't got round to that bit yet.

Looking at your index tree, it looks at "Everything" in a lot of places that could drag out the indexing process. For example, there is usually little point in indexing the "Windows" folders, likewise "temp" and ProgramData.

I can't see the whole, tree, but my guess is that X1 is indexing other places that really should not hold the sort of data that you want to find.

I keep all of my essential data on a separate drive. I don't even index all of that. The only place on my system drive that I index is down in the "Users" path.

You may have good reason to want X1 to index everything, but I would try to rationalise what it look at.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Hapkido » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:28 am

Kenward wrote:OK, just checking the most obvious possibilities.

How long has X1 been at work? It takes some time, hours, for a first run. (That's why some of us leave it overnight after a new install.) Maybe it hasn't got round to that bit yet.

X1 has been working for at least 3 days.

QUESTION: For the indexing to work, does the actual application have to be running/open, i.e., open but minimized to the Taskbar? Or, does the indexing continue even if the application is closed? I do have the option for X1 to "run at Startup", so I'm assuming that it is running even if it is closed. I'm wondering if the "schedule" is hindering all the files/folders from being indexed? Here's how I have it set up.

Hapkido

Postby Kenward » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:40 am

You may be right. I have X1 set to index files every 30 minutes. Daily at 12 AM may not be enough.

If you back up to the "Indexing" option, you can set there the behaviour when minimised.

You can probably fine tune the indexing so that it does not cause too many conflicts when you are working.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Chris Wheaton » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:03 am

3 things must be true for indexing of any type to occur:

1. Your machine must be booted up and running.

2. You, the X1 user, must be logged into the system. This is because does not operate independently; it operates as your user name.

3. The X1 product must be running. By default X1 will continue indexing when minimized.

Also, take into consideration the amount of data (number of items) you're trying to index. The initial index build takes the longest time to build. If you're pool of data is comprised of 500,000 individual items it could take 2 days of non-stop indexing to build that initial index.

So, if you're concerned that your index is not getting sufficient time to build minimize your X1 product before you quit for the day - leave your machine on, and rather than log off - how about locking the system.

This leaves you logged in so that X1 can continue indexing while you're away.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Hapkido » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:38 pm

Okay, didn't realize that the program had to actually be launched, even though it is set to run at Startup. So, I left it minimized since my last reply.

It shows that "Files are optimized", which I am going to assume that this means the indexing is finally complete. However, once again, doing a search for "blending" only shows results from my backup drive "J:\". And when I type in "C:\Tips and Tricks", the results window is blank. I tried another key word "BartPE" and the results found the folder in C:\Tips and Tricks" but when I refined the search by typing in "doc" in the Document type, again, no results. I am just a bit frustrated at this point trying to figure out why this one folder and its 1,476 files are excluded??????

So, one last appeal for help on this one before I revert back to Windows Search.
Hapkido

Postby Kenward » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:11 pm

I suspect some strange oddities in how you are conducting these searches.

How do you him in on "C:\Tips and Tricks"?

There is no need to use all that stuff, unless you have stacks of folders with the word "tips" in them, I would stick with that.

Which "Search" are you using?

What are you looking for? Here I mean the types of files. Doc?

Try to find the files in other ways. Ignore the path. Use other ways in. Filename, content and so on.

Start with the "All" search and refine it in different ways

Finally, "Files are optimized" is not a sign that indexing is complete.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Chris Wheaton » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:10 am

Hapkido - File Optimization is an administrative task performed during the indexing process. This does not mean indexing is complete. File Optimization, typically, takes only a few seconds to a couple minutes. If you're seeing the indexing in this state for a protracted period of time it may actually be an indication of a problem with the indexing or index file structure.

Here is another report that really needs to be addressed internally via a case submission which includes the X1 diagnostic file set.

Use Help > Report a Bug or go to this web site: https://www.x1.com/support/submit-case.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Return to Questions and Answers