X1 disconnects Outlook and locks account in Active Directory

Download and discuss the X1 Professional Client 6.2.2 (Beta)

Moderator: Mods

X1 disconnects Outlook and locks account in Active Directory

Postby doctortt » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:48 pm

One of my user PCs is experiencing some problems with X1. Throughout the day, he will randomly get a pop-up message box that prompts him for username and password, and the pop-up box is from the Exchange server. When this occurs, Outlook will be disconnected. As soon as the user enters his credentials and hit OK, Outlook's connection will be restored. In addition, his account in Active Directory will get locked out. We first thought something was wrong with the PC. We...

1) Recreated Outlook profile
2) Unjoined and rejoined PC to the domain
3) Recreated desktop profile
4) Updated NIC driver
5) Removed and added server entries under Control Panel\User Accounts\Advanced\Manage Passwords
6) Installed Microsoft hotfix - article ID: 885887
7) Verified PC is getting DNS servers from DHCP and no manual entries.
8) Verified MS Office 2003 is on SP3
9) Verified Client for Microsoft Networks under TCIP/IP properties
10) Reinstalled XP Service Pack 2
11) Changed Outlook authentication to NTLM
12) Verified NIC speed/duplex setting is the same as the port on the switch
13) Scanned virus and spyware, and the PC was clean
14) Renamed his computer

We tried all these stuff and no luck. He will still get the same pop-up, Outlook gets disconnected and AD account gets locked out. Today, I was doing some tests on his PC. I uninstalled X1 since the problem was Outlook related to see if that would change anything. Rebooted the PC and reinstalled X1. Launched X1 after the installation with Outlook open, Outlook immediately threw me the pop-up box and account in AD got locked out. I unlocked the account and uninstalled X1. I told the user to use the PC without X1 for a few days and see how it goes. I'm suspecting X1 is the culprit. Does anyone have the similiar problem?
doctortt

Postby Greg Dawes » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:31 pm

I think the best course of action is to uninstall X1 (while outlook is closed) and remove all old settings. Then, remove all outlook profiles. If possible, check the registry for any old outlook profiles that can be removed. Here is the applicable registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

Reboot your computer and then make a new outlook profile and build your OST. Wait for your OST to build up completely. After that completes, install X1. X1 must be installed while Outlook is closed. After installation of X1 has completed (but before you hit the Finish button in the installation wizard), launch Outlook. Make sure Outlook is working fine first. Once that is ok, hit the finish button on the X1 installation wizard and it will auto launch.

If that does work, always make sure that you have Outlook running before you launch X1 on this machine.

Let us know if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:29 am

Anyone who has to go to these drastic steps should look into the things that they can do to preserve important settings in Outlook.

The dratted email software scatters stuff all over the place, in the registry and in the PST files.

Microsoft offers various Microsoft Office Tools to "Save my settings" and such. Outlook will also let you export copies of any "Rules" that you have set up to process mail.

A good source of advice on outlook it the Slipstick web site:

http://www.slipstick.com/
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby mutu26 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:54 am

For work with Outlook use-export messages from ost file,can try to export *.ost file to a *.pst extension, that can be easily opened by any email client, compatible with Microsoft Outlook,also extract your data and export Outlook ost file, if *.ost file is corrupted,export from ost file is very easy to use, its friendly graphic interface allows all operations to be performed in several mouse clicks, open *.ost file, analyze it and preview recovered data,works for export mail from ost file and is capable to recover *.ost files,can export from ost file and export folders from ost file to make certain, that export ost to pst is exactly what you were looking for,export mail from .ost file supports all Windows platforms as well as Vista and all versions of Microsoft Office packages,tool can export ost file without Outlook and export data from ost file to pst, as well as to recover emails and contacts from password-protected *.ost files, it is even possible to process source files with strong encryption and export folders from ost file.
mutu26

Return to X1 Professional Client 6.2.2 (Beta)