X1 Professional Client 6.5 (Beta)

Moderator: Mods

Postby Greg Dawes » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:19 pm

X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.5 Beta
(Build 3566ki) (Created: Tue Oct 14 13:59:36 PDT 2008)

NOTE: Installing this build requires that .NET 3.0 or higher be installed on your computer. Here is the link to the latest .NET 3.5 SP1: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

You can download the X1 Professional Client 6.5 (Beta) by using this link: link removed -- please see this new forum post for link to new beta build: http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=12473#12473

**Important Considerations**
- Any user attempting to install this beta build, with a currently installed build number higher than 3566ki, will be required to uninstall their current version of X1.
- Please restrict all comments regarding this beta release to this section of the forum
- Remember that we always advise that you uninstall any currently installed version of X1, without saving your settings/preferences, before installing any beta build.
- Any user upgrading from 5.5.5 or previous will be required to rebuild their index files.

Release Notes

New Features
• Double Byte Character Support.
- X1 User Interface supports double byte characters in all fields.
- Added support for double byte characters searches against local index and X1 Server.
- Added option to ignore accented characters under Tools/Options/Indexing.
- Added option to insert word breaks around Asian language characters under Tools/Options/Indexing.
• Search History Support
- Added support to store search history terms for the main search box for up to 15 entries.
- Terms will be stored once focus changes from the main search box.
- Search history can be accessed via up/down arrow keys or the main search box pull-down menu.

Enhancements
• Re-designed post-search-action (PSA) toolbar customization menu.
• Re-designed Main Menu customization screens.
• Added "Properties" post-search-action for files.
• Added "Copy to Folder" post-search-action for files.
• Added option to reset all dialog boxes under the Tools/Options/Display menu.
• Renamed "More Indexing Options" button in the Files Options menu to "Select Files to Scan".
• Application startup time reduced up to 50% depending on configurations.

X1 Supported Platforms Guide
X1 Technologies goes out of its way to explicitly test our products with a number of third-party products. Our goal is to test and validate that our products work with those products our customers and partners use most frequently. Just because a particular version of the third-party software is not listed on the supported platforms guide does not mean that the product will not work with X1, just that we do not explicitly test that version of the application.

X1 Server/Client Compatibility Guide
X1 Server v2.0 supports X1 Professional Client versions 2.x
X1 Server v2.5.x supports X1 Professional Client versions 5.x & 6.x

Symantec Vault Supported Platform
Symantec Enterprise Vault v6, v7, v2007 for Microsoft Exchange
Microsoft Outlook 2003
Professional Client v5.6 or greater

System Requirements – Desktop Client
256 MB RAM required / 512 MB RAM recommended
1 GB free hard disk recommended
Note: Actual memory and space used depends on number of files and email messages indexed.

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2 & SP3
Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 & SP3
Microsoft Windows Vista & SP1
Microsoft .NET 3.0 and above required.
Email Clients
Lotus Notes & Domino 6.5.x to 8.0.x
Microsoft Outlook XP, 2003 and 2007 & 2007 SP1
Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0
Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5, 2.0

Unsupported Products/Known Issues:
• Plaxo – Versions of the Plaxo Toolbar for Outlook earlier than 2.0 may cause instability in Outlook when used with X1. http://www.plaxo.com/
• IMAP Email Servers – X1 does not support indexing of email messages when using IMAP mailboxes. X1 recommends always storing copies of email messages in a local PST file.
• Microsoft Outlook with MSN Hotmail – X1 does not support indexing of MSN Hotmail email messages synchronized with Microsoft Outlook. http://www.hotmail.com/
• iPodSync – Searching Microsoft Outlook contacts is broken when using iPodSync. http://www.ipod-sync.com/
• Outlook Express – When using X1 to open, forward, or reply to Outlook Express email messages with attachments, the new email message will not contain the attachments.
• Access – Unable to preview Access Database Formats beyond Version 2.0 or indexing any Access Database formats.
• The "Columns" dialog in the "Tools" menu currently controls options for only the first row of column headers.
• Indexing of removable media is not supported.
• Preview of PDF documents with the hidden text property turned on does not preview results.
• X1 does not automatically detect Outlook mail profile default changes while running. X1 needs to be restarted to establish a connection to the new Outlook email profile.
• X1 does not fully support multi-monitor environments.
• X1 must be closed when Symantec Offline Vault is updated.
• Deployment Manager builds DO NOT support push-to-client searches created in the X1 Enterprise Server.
• "Forward" post search action does not work properly for Lotus Notes email multi-selection that contains attachments.
• Performing a "Copy to Folder" PSA on items in a folder with an auto-forward rule causes the rule to be applied again on the items selected.
• X1 Installer will not start X1 after install in Vista to prevent conflicts with Outlook.
• Files RTI is not compatible with Microsoft Vista junction points.
• 64-bit operating systems are not currently supported.
• X1 will ignore registry parameters passed from Windows Vista searches for variables such as My Computer, Recycling Bin, Network Locations, Desktop.
• The F3 command in Windows Vista does not send a query to the default search engine if the cursor is placed in the Windows Explorer search box.
• X1 will not index Lotus Notes email that only appear in the "All Documents" view.
• The "Add to Zip" post search action executes only on items with titles/columns with latin-1 UTF charaters.
• X1 Client upgrades with deskbar enabled in Windows Vista will prompt a Windows Explorer re-start.
• Outlook Real-time indexing applies only to the following folders: Inbox, Deleted Items, and Sent Items.
• X1 does not support double byte characters in the installation directory path.
• X1 does not support double byte characters for the Mozilla Thunderbird and Outlook Express mail clients.
• X1 does not support double byte characters for PST files due to MAPI limitations.
• X1 does not support double byte characters for Lotus Notes passwords.

Upgrade Considerations:
The following settings will not be preserved upon an upgrade to the 6.0 Professional client:
• Changes to the actions toolbar.
• The "Load X1 at Startup" setting.

Windows Vista User Access Control (UAC) Considerations:
• The following actions require administrator authentication:
- The ability to install X1.
- Registering the product for all users.
- Setting shortcut settings for all users.
- Adding/removing plugins.
• For these actions, an authentication dialog will prompt for a username and password with administrator privileges.

To disable Windows Search on Vista follow these steps:
1. Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
2. Find the "Windows Search" service.
3. Right-click on the "Windows Search" service and select Properties from the menu.
4. On the Properties > General tab, click the "Stop" button to halt the service, and select "Disabled" from the Startup type pulldown.
5. Click OK to apply the new settings and close the Properties dialog.
Last edited by Greg Dawes on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:02 am

I am on build 3625, so before I install this one, I need to uninstall.

Maybe folks need a reminder of the stuff that they need to preserve before they do this, like creating a backup of their saved searches.

That's just in case the "Save settings" thing falls over.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Kenward » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:58 am

Upgrade Considerations:
The following settings will not be preserved upon an upgrade to the 6.0 Professional client:
• Changes to the actions toolbar.
• The "Load X1 at Startup" setting.

You may also lose your "Keyboard shortcut" for launching X1.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

.Net 3.0 requirement

Postby rickrump » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:49 pm

Being an X1 user and advocate for 4 years and trying to push its use in my company (HP), I am extremely sorry to see .Net 3.0 a requirement for the latest version and presumably beyond. HP has many internal business applications that use .Net and our support folks have assured me from valid support cases that 3.0 will break several of the key applications which use .Net 2.0.

I appreciate that providing dual release threads is painful, but I would appeal for consideration of that. Is it possible that this version will run on 2.0 but with some features unsupported (double byte characters?)

Thanks,

Rick
rickrump

Postby Greg Dawes » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:21 am

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your support for X1 at HP! Unfortunately, the new user interface was developed with Windows Presentation Foundation which cannot run in .NET 2.0. Our current plans are to have a separate version of the X1 Professional Client for enterprise customers with .NET constraints.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

.Net 3.0 requirement

Postby rickrump » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:38 am

Greg,

That's a great solution. Thanks for recognizing that not all big IT organizations can/do jump to new release versions of developmental tools.

Rick
rickrump

Postby Kenward » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:09 am

How very true. For example, the corporate world is said to be sitting on its hands with respect to Microsoft Vista. A point worth remembering whenever anyone starts jumping up and down and demanding a 64-bit version of X1.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby davbacci » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:08 am

Can we see some screenshots of the new UI without having to go through the install process?
davbacci

Postby Kenward » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:21 am

There is very little difference between the displays in the old and new versions of X1. I get a feeling that all they have done is a recoding job.

Indeed, they have not even take the opportunity to tidy up the ugly bits of the old interface.

The only difference I have found is that there is no longer the opportunity to have two rows of search columns.

That means that the only real change is a backward step.

Check the messages here and you will see feedback on any changes that have crept into X1.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby davbacci » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:30 am

Kenward wrote:There is very little difference between the displays in the old and new versions of X1. I get a feeling that all they have done is a recoding job.

Indeed, they have not even take the opportunity to tidy up the ugly bits of the old interface.

I have to say that this is a real shame. X1 is by far the best search tool I have encountered but the UI leaves a lot to be desired and I'm surprised they're not taking this opportunity to redesign the interface. There are some very easy problems that could be "fixed" and would leave end users far less frustrated. If anyone of import from X1 reads this, please, please hire a UI person to make some suggestions to your dev team. In fact, I would happily do this myself (I have some good UI experience) if I knew my suggestions would be taken on board.
davbacci

Postby Kenward » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:33 am

I have to agree there.

I was just thinking the other day that I could use some sort of ranking feature.

For example, I recently had a project on "stem cells". I have a pile of files with this phrase. It would be a great help if I could rank them in order of the number of occurrences of the phrase in the files.

This may not be what you had in mind, but it is certainly something that might show up in some UI research.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby davbacci » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:37 am

Good idea. I think a straw man with a proposed UI redesign would be a start (fairly simple to build in visual studio as it is just drag and drop). Then a dedicated forum post to UI enhancements like the one you just suggested could be incorporated.

Anyone from X1 listening?
davbacci

Postby nikkho » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:25 am

Greg Dawes wrote:Thank you for your support for X1 at HP! Unfortunately, the new user interface was developed with Windows Presentation Foundation which cannot run in .NET 2.0. Our current plans are to have a separate version of the X1 Professional Client for enterprise customers with .NET constraints.

Any news on beta version of the updated non-Dot Net client?
nikkho

Postby Northman » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:37 pm

We would also prefer a non .NET version :)
Acer 2Gb 1Mb - Windows XP SP2 (still!) - Office '07
www.VoIP-Download.com/Skype.htm
www.ThriftDomains.com
Northman

Postby Greg Dawes » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:43 am

nikkho wrote:Any news on beta version of the updated non-Dot Net client?
nikkho,

No news on this front yet and it may be some time before this is available. We will post the beta in the forums, when available, so forum users will be first to see and test.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Return to X1 Professional Client 6.5 (Beta)