Bug Report v6.5 Beta Build 3566ki

X1 Professional Client 6.5 (Beta)

Moderator: Mods

Bug Report v6.5 Beta Build 3566ki

Postby w0qj » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:52 am

Oh boy, this Beta is one of the rougher ones i've tested...

1. i was using Beta v6.2.2 previously, and i did enter my registration key into v6.2.2 Beta.

~Downloaded and ran v6.5 Beta, asking it to install over v6.2.2 Beta.
~v6.5 Beta immediately hit a brick wall, claiming that it detected "a newer version of X1", and promptly stopped v6.5 Beta installation.

~I rebooted my computer, and it still had v6.2.2 Beta on it.
~I had to manually uninstall v6.2.2 Beta, then i could install v6.5 Beta.

2. When I ran v6.5 Beta, it forgot its registration key. so was a Trialware by default.

***BUT v6.5 Beta also claimed my Trial had expired, locking me out of X1, preventing me from using X1. (Fortunately I had my registration key info with me, otherwise could not use X1 at all).

3. v6.5 Beta could not finish its Initial Indexing in my 2 days of use--it kept encountering an error, stopped indexing. Had to clear index to restart Initial Indexing, which never finishes.

"An error was encountered during indexing. Another program may be locking X1's files..."

Twice it encountered an error, and the entire X1 index went back to zero, had to restart Initial Indexing.

I've never finished X1 Initial Indexing yet in 2 days, looks like it won't finish, given i'm getting this error every 2-3 hours on my computer.

4. I'm using:
Win'XP-Pro SP3, IE7, MS Office XP-Pro
Last edited by w0qj on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tjh » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:33 am

I don't quite understand how it can have a later version number, yet an earlier build number. I guess it's just a difference branch. I've actually steered clear of testing it and gone with just the full (non-beta) release of 6.2.2

I guess I should test it, but it seems pretty rough!
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Greg Dawes » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:35 pm

w0qj wrote:~v6.5 Beta immediately hit a brick wall, claiming that it detected "a newer version of X1", and promptly stopped v6.5 Beta installation.

tjh wrote:I don't quite understand how it can have a later version number, yet an earlier build number. I guess it's just a difference branch. I've actually steered clear of testing it and gone with just the full (non-beta) release of 6.2.2

I guess I should test it, but it seems pretty rough!

You are correct; this is a different branch (thus the earlier build number) and will be merged back into the mainline before being released GA - then it will have a build number that is higher. I did place this line in the post in an attempt to warn users that this may happen: Any user attempting to install this beta build, with a currently installed build number higher than 3566ki, will be required to uninstall their current version of X1.

w0qj wrote:2. When I ran v6.5 Beta, it forgot its registration key. so was a Trialware by default.
This is expected since you uninstalled your previous version and the registry entry containing your registration code would have been removed.

w0qj wrote:"An error was encountered during indexing. Another program may be locking X1's files..."
This message indicates that there is another program (i.e. application) on your computer that is locking X1's files; most probably, the X1 index files. If X1 was prevented from accessing it's own index files, the index would be cleared and you would be forced to reindex all data.
Have you installed any new applications recently which may be causing this? It could be that the application temporarily locks folders/files while it performs some sort of manipulation (i.e. backup program, antivirus, antispyware, disk fragmentation, etc.).
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby w0qj » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:19 am

Hi Greg,

Tks for your quick & helpful replies...

1. Re: Locking Up of X1's files, causing the error.

The only new programs i've installed in past month are:

-Google browser Chrome Beta
-Thunderbird email client, latest version (and currently had been uninstalled).

Trust you will agree above 2 programs will not lock up X1's indexing files.

BTW, I've never seen this error before, and you know how long i've been using X1...

- - - - - - -
P.S. - This beta version never finished its Initial Indexing in the past few days, the latest is "Error--Click to try [indexing] again".
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to X1 Professional Client 6.5 (Beta)