Liking the search history & (imperfect) power state mgmt

X1 Professional Client 6.5 (Beta)

Moderator: Mods

Liking the search history & (imperfect) power state mgmt

Postby tq » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:37 pm

This beta version of x1 is a big step forward for me. I’ve had 3 problems with x1 in the past:

• Lack of search history – how many times have I wished for a “back arrow”? I don’t usually save searches, but I do have an occasional need to repeat a search – for example: after a priority interrupt, I need to go back to a document I just found. Now I can do it with the drop down box on the main search bar. I’d still prefer a “back arrow” but this is good!
• Inability to continue working after resume from hibernate – Using x1 on a laptop has been interesting. I’ve been using since 2004 – in those days, x1 just crashed and wanted to send error messages on wakeup; that behavior improved in recent versions, but only slightly. Until now, X1 has simply disappeared and required a fresh re-launch on wake from hibernate. This new beta stays active! Hurray!

One important idiosyncracy: X1 seems unable to detect changes in power source from battery power to AC power.

• Inability to support dual display – Haven’t tried it yet but I see release notes say this is still an issue. But…many thanks for the great improvements on the other items.

It looks like two of the three are now fixed in this beta, and that's good news! Thanks.
tq
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Kenward » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:06 am

I also noticed that X1 could not tell the difference between mains and battery power. But I have just moved X1 from my old Sony to a new Samsung and wondered if it is due to the way in which the new laptop reports its status.

What make is your laptop? Maybe we can see a pattern.

I did manage to get it to index on mains power by toggling the setting for "Allow indexing when on battery".

I am not sure what you, or they, mean by "Inability to support dual display". It works fine here. Much better than something like PaperPort, which refuses to remember where I left it and always restarts straddled across two monitors.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tq » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:48 am

I'm using a Lenovo x61; I believe that the OS reports power state to applications in the same way, and since prior versions of x1 have had no issues detecting power state changes, I think this must just be a feature that is "coming soon." :-)

The display issue I've had in the past is this: I use a dual monitor arrangement at my desk, but frequently "undock" my laptop from the dual monitor to move around. If I have x1 on the 2nd monitor when i hibernate, x1 stays stuck on the on 2nd monitor - even after I undock. In other words, I just can't see it at all, even though it's running. If I maximize it in the task bar, it maximizes on the no-longer-present 2nd monitor. I have not tried replicating this issue on this beta, but it has been x1 behavior in prior releases.

Thanks.
tq
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Greg Dawes » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:39 am

Hi tq,

Thank you for the "kudos"!

That being said, there is still an issue with having X1 present on your second monitor and then undocking your laptop. However, you should be able to get X1 back using these steps:

1. Hold down Alt and press the Tab key until X1 is highlighted. Release keys.
2. Press Alt-Space-R
3. Press Alt-Space-M
4. Press the left arrow key
5. Move your mouse to reposition X1

These steps are found in our KB article: http://a.tinyurl.com/x1-kb-multiplemonitor

Let us know if you have trouble implementing these steps.

Thanks again!!
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:35 pm

tq wrote:The display issue I've had in the past is this: I use a dual monitor arrangement at my desk, but frequently "undock" my laptop from the dual monitor to move around. If I have x1 on the 2nd monitor when i hibernate, x1 stays stuck on the on 2nd monitor - even after I undock. In other words, I just can't see it at all, even though it's running. If I maximize it in the task bar, it maximizes on the no-longer-present 2nd monitor. I have not tried replicating this issue on this beta, but it has been x1 behavior in prior releases.

That explains why I have no problems. My monitors sit there all the time. No undocking.

Dammit. You have made life more complicated. Maybe I should by a video card that will feed three monitors. Then I could add my laptop to the panoramic view. At least it would make me clear my desk of the piles of paper to make room for the laptop.

When I lose a window, I right-click the taskbar and "Move". In effect, this is a variant on Greg's trick.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to X1 Professional Client 6.5 (Beta)