X1 rather unresponsive

X1 Professional Client 6.5 Release Candidate

Moderator: Mods

X1 rather unresponsive

Postby bk3 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:14 am

HAs been running the RC on XP on my T60p with 4Gb and 200 GB 7200 disk. compared to the previous version I have a couple of things you may want to check before final release.

1) X1 appear often unresponsive when hitting Ctrl-Alt-L. Even when clicking on the icon, X1 takes MUCH longer before the window pops up. Its is NOT disk I/o that appears to block but CPU. As a side issue, that must be a weakness compared to Vista's responsivenes.

2) DAte/Time title in right side header field for file searching appears to long and makes the header field look unaligned.

3) Should be minor - but actually is not. the choice of fionts in the search result window may appear too large to some. I do not know if there is some ressource that can be set to change this, but it is difficult to get the overview when the window is full. Great for us who wo not have the eyes

4) It appears that X1 sporadically misses indexing certain mails in the inbox (Office 2007) even when it has been activated permanently
bk3

Postby Kenward » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:14 am

Now that you mention it, I see the same thing. But I can't remember what it was like before. Anyone able to report on previous version?

About 10 seconds here. What do you see?
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby bk3 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:31 am

I have now been running the RC for a longer period and it is markedly slower than its predecessors. This occurs especially when you are working on something else, and then activates X1. Even after the main window is back again - which takes considerable time for a desktop product, it does not echo back what you are typing into the "From" field (or other fields) in email. This markedsly improves when it has been active for some longer time. Apparently it is related to paging, whcih could be explained if it uses more storage than previously due to .net or if it has some debug features in it still. Or is the size related to the index size (I am indexing a lot of documents).

There has been little feedback on this. Could someone at X1 please comment if this is a known issue that is being acted upon, or if this came as a surprise when swithcing to .net and we will have to live with it?
bk3

Postby Kenward » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:31 am

bk3 wrote:Or is the size related to the index size (I am indexing a lot of documents).

That's a good question.

Like you, I have a mountain of stuff indexed.

It would be good to have some feedback from someone with less stuff.

But they probably aren't likely to be here, unfortunately.

This is building up as an issue. With just one or two victims, slowness might be just a coincidence. A growing number of reports makes it more significant.

Anyone else seen this?

Maybe you are right in fingering the dotnet thing. After all, writing loads of X1 from scratch can't be conducive to creating the most efficient code first time around.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby mvinarcik » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:22 am

Concur that load time/first time launch is markedly slower with the new version.

Once it's been run once it doesn't seem to be nearly as bad (and fairly comparable with pre-.Net version).

I don't launch it at startup (I'm on a laptop and try to keep overhead down), so that first-time launch when I decide to use it is a bummer!
mvinarcik

Postby Kenward » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:23 pm

Even when you do launch it at start-up, the time it takes to wake up and come to the fore is a pain. So don't feel to left out.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby giuse » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:25 pm

yes, it is clearly slower than current stable version. The RC must be improved before being released in my opinion.

Also at boot startup, it is launched as a window and not just as a tray icon, also when that option is checked.
Did you see the same thing?
cheers

Giuse

Postby Kenward » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:36 am

giuse wrote:Also at boot startup, it is launched as a window and not just as a tray icon, also when that option is checked.
Did you see the same thing?
cheers

Giuse

Thank you for reporting this. I brought it up in an earlier beta. It still has not been fixed.

I find that it isn't just a case of not minimising to the Notification Area. I have to wake up X1 and then dismiss it again to make it go to the tray.

My hope is that the large gaps between beta versions is a sign that someone is working on these issues, especially the speed, which is not good.

I can see very little in the way of new features in the RC. So if someone asks me if I would advise upgrading from the previous version to 6.5, my answer would be a firm No.

I really don't think most users care about using .Net framework. Actually, some will not upgrade because their IT folks do not allow this technology. At least, that is what they have said here.

By the way, there was a significant update to .Net this week. I have no idea if this will deal with the crashes I get in X1. Every few days it just pops up and says that the UI has stopped working and sends an error report.

Anyone else seen this?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tjh » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:33 am

I installed the RC for a little while to give it a test. I must say I was less than impressed though, no new features, I didn't like the font and it seemed slower overall. I went back to 6.2.3 and I've been much happier.

I'm sure that there's a lot that's gone on under the hood I can't see, but from my point of view it wasn't worth the upgrade.

I had problems with it not minimising on startup as you've mentioned and also very long times waking up from the tray. Though I also have this with 6.2.3 as well.
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby bk3 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:59 am

Glad to see that I am not the only one thinking about going back. I have been trying, faithfully, to use it for the past period since I started the thread, but it has not helped.

Interestingly, I have noted a "hesitance" when I want to search. I tend to feel a negative reaction - prior to starting up X1. I find myself resolving to other search mechanisms (outlook, explorer) not because it is faster in total (of which I have no opinion) but because it is more responsive in the initial phase. There are lots of cognitive reasons for that, and a successful product must take this into consideration.

I started using the quick launch bar, but its erratic behaviour in connection with its informational box that overlays the input field, makes me just using Ctrl-Alt-L. But it is so slooooooooow. I can accept, to a certain degree, that the search takes time, but getting up a user interface should be instantaniously. Unfortunately - as we have found out - .NET is slow by nature. Too much code to execute.

I expect that X1 has discovered the same, since neither the product has been announced nor have we seen any bug fixes for a long time. My guess is that a major rewrite is in process - but it is only a guess.
bk3

Postby Kenward » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:57 pm

bk3 wrote:I expect that X1 has discovered the same, since neither the product has been announced nor have we seen any bug fixes for a long time. My guess is that a major rewrite is in process - but it is only a guess.

I had exactly the same guess.

Two months and counting?

This was never an "RC".

More like alpha.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to 6.5 Release Candidate