Cascading searches

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Cascading searches

Postby SeismicGuy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:48 am

My exclusive use of X1 is to search through a couple of thousand reports I have written over the years (typcially Microsoft Word documents) to help create a new report. In the old days I was very happy using and old Dos program for this--Lotus Magellan. Magellan was great and very quick. It also allowed for cascading searches. By this I mean that I might first search for all reports done for Tom Smith, and then I would search those for a particular word or phrase. I realize that this could probably be done using X1 via boolean phrases but cascading searches would be a great feature in my opinion.

Doug
SeismicGuy

Re: Cascading searches

Postby Kenward » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:54 pm

SeismicGuy wrote:By this I mean that I might first search for all reports done for Tom Smith, and then I would search those for a particular word or phrase. I realize that this could probably be done using X1 via boolean phrases but cascading searches would be a great feature in my opinion.

Boolean not needed. It is exactly how X1 already works.

A few experiments might help.

A lot will depend on how you are finding "Tom Smith". Is it in the body text?

If so, search on that, then add extra words in the same slot.

If that doesn't do what you want, then you'll have to explain in a bit more detail why this does not work for you.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby SeismicGuy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:01 am

Hi Ken,

I have also been corresponding with one of the X1 folks on this issue. Here is the way I explained it to him:

I guess I have to admit that I probably used X1 in a way that may be unique to the mainstream. I write technical reports and they way I usually start a new one out is to find pertinent passages from old reports. For example, there are certain appearance and formatting elements associated with different clients. So if I am starting a new report for client XYZ, I will start an X1 search for XYZ to try and find a suitable template. Next a portion of the report is associated with geographical location, so I will search X1 for reports in same/nearby location and cut what I need from them. Part of what I write is associated with the type of building I am looking at (e.g., high-rise steel frame, low-rise concrete shear wall, mid-rise wood frame, etc.) so I used X1 to find all of the high-rise steel frame reports and then cut what I need, etc. etc.

If I am doing a high-rise steel frame building located in San Francisco for client XYZ--this is where I would find a cascading search useful. First I would enter client XYZ which would cull down the search list to a hundred or so reports. Then it would be nice to clear the search field WHILE LEAVING THE FIRST SEARCH INTACT and enter San Francisco which maybe would cull the list more. Then it would be nice again to clear the search field WHILE LEAVING THE CULLED LIST INTACT to look for high-rise.

It just seems to me that this type of cascading search (or subsequent searching on the previously culled list) would be useful and slick. I am not sure that I can explain it any better but, hopefully, you can understand what I am getting at.

Anyway, his response was the the method you described (just keep typing words in the search box) will probably accomplish what I am describing. What I was envisioning though was more like doing the initial screen (e.g., for a particular client) and then jumping down into the preview list and continuing searching through there (of course bringing up the Find dialogue within the preview pane will do that on a file-by-file basis).

I did have another feature request--drop down browse for the path box. I will post that request in another thread.

Doug

Doug
SeismicGuy

Postby Kenward » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:44 am

I guess this underlines the importance of creating a folder structure on your PC that makes it easier to find things.

Like you I have masses of files that stem from working for lots of customers on many subjects. I try to arrange files in folders that make it easy to get at things. So, for example, my dates are always in the format XXXX-XX-XX, 2011-07-12, YEAR-MONTH-DAY. That sorts by filename much more logically than the insane 12-07-2011, or even more bonkers US style of 07-12-2011.

If you create a cascading file structure then you are part of the way towards achieving what you want X1 to do.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Cascading searches

Postby Davidcep » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:51 am

To be able to use ones saved searches when indexing and attaching documents to exisiting folders.

This relates to adding full grid functionality to the inbox search tab?
[url=http://www.asylabs.com/]A new generation game for iOS and Android smartphones. Put the Car on the screen and Go![/url]
Davidcep

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes