Inability to index/ view properly certain files

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Inability to index/ view properly certain files

Postby Derek B. Cornish » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:20 pm

X1 is a great program and improving rapidly. The handling of pdf files is getting much better, and adding proximity searching was a major improvement.

Three problems remain for me:
1. Many (often older - e.g., DOS) files containing text do not get indexed. Good examples Lotus Agenda, or Symantec Grandvciew. No-one is looking for these files to be correctly displayed (you need Lotus Magellan for that job), but at least they should be indexed. Even Wilbur (a free indexed searcher) achieves that - as, of course, does dtSearch.

2. Text files with unusual or no extensions do not get indexed either, so there needs to be some sort of more generic filter that can ensure that these are handled. Going through hundreds of files and changing their extensions in order that X1 will index them is not a practicable option. An option to exclude extensions might in fact be more useful than the current practice of having to select extensions before they can be indexed.

3. X1 ought to be able to display mht files properly. This is an important file type and many people use it in preference to htm because it scatters fewer associated files and folders across one's hard disk when web pages are saved locally.

Presumably these are Stellant-related problems. But other software designers are finding ways round them...

Best,

Derek
Derek B. Cornish

Postby dz006 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:30 am

I'd whole-heartedly support the above as i also have been requesting these features for many months - specifically the ability to index text inside non-standard formats (do not expect to preview them). I am also using Copernic Desktop Search at the moment alongside X1 and so far it matches X1's searching results and exceeds X1 when searching for info inside these non-standard formats.

Copernic gets around the problem by allowing the use to add their own file extensions which forces copernic to look inside and index the contents - whereas X1 lets you enter the extension but won't actually index the contents...
dz006
dz006
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby w0qj » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:25 am

X1 always index the file name & file attributes (date, size, etc.) by default.

X1 only indexes the specified file contents.
by default, X1 indexes files such as PDF, DOC, XLS, EML, MHT, etc.
this may take care of 95% of most users' needs.

if user has any specific program file to format, user can tell X1 to index these too, and hopefully this will work out:
Tools>>Options>>[File_Tab]>>[More_Indexing_Options_Button]>>[Specify_Extensions]

the point is, if X1 tries to index file contents of all files on the hard drive, indexing performance would be drastically hit, CPU usage continuously very high, sluggish computer, etc.
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby dz006 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:46 am

The point is that the above instructions don't work if X1 can't recognise the format !!! It displays the content but gives a message of "file could not be indexed"...even though on the preview screens I can SEE the data I want to search for !!!!
dz006
dz006
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Derek B. Cornish » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:27 pm

>the point is, if X1 tries to index file contents of all files on the hard drive, >indexing performance would be drastically hit, CPU usage continuously
> very high, sluggish computer, etc.

You are quite right, but I was not suggesting indexing everything. Instead, I was suggesting that proceeding by setting up indexing to exclude certain file extensions but to index everything else might be more useful than X!'s current method.

This could reduce the number of irrelevant files (.exe, .bat, .jpg, etc) that got indexed and (maybe) allow files with unusual extensions or no extensions at all to be indexed without having to specify their extensions.

Or maybe a combination of selection and exclusion could be used? I think Redtree's Wilbur allows this.

There is probably reason connected with X1's use of the Stellant filters that makes this impractical but, if so, it would be useful to know. Then those of us who need this facility could look elsewhere.

Derek
Derek B. Cornish

Postby dz006 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:51 am

In some cases I am happy that Stellant can't display the actual document - as I am talking about searching inside propriety files (not the big boys) and just seeing the entry on the results list is enough - but X1 just doesn't look inside and index files it doesn't recognize.
dz006
dz006
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Derek B. Cornish » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:05 pm

I hope I am not the only user still waiting for X1 to be able to index all files:

(i) which contain mainly text; and
(ii) which have had their file extensions added to the list of files to be indexed.

This list includes (as I pointed out earlier) Lotus Agenda, Symantec Grandview, askSAM, Casesoft's NoteMap (well-known lawyers' outlining package) and - I am sure - others.

All these contain important text information - they are, after all, information managers and outliners - all can be added to the file extension list, but none of them get indexed.

Clearly, there is a problem here, and one that some other indexed search programs like Wilbur and dtSearch seem to have been able to overcome. X1 is such a good program, that it is a pity to see it failing where other search programs are succeeding.

Derek
Derek B. Cornish

file formats I'd like X1 to support

Postby mscudder » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:41 am

MS-Access
Zoot databases (Zoot Software) (.zot)
Michael
----------
mscudder

EUDORA mbx files outside the e-mail account not indexed

Postby billyjc » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:26 am

Same thing happens to EUDORA mbx files in other folders or HDs that are not under the main e-mail account. It can index, but messages within mbx files cannot be viewed. Therefore, you cannot rely on X1 to view your archived e-mails messages that were once under the current e-mail account. This means I have little use for X1, yet I have complained about it when I discovered this shortcoming shortly after having paid for this software.

Only response I got was in a sort of "who-are-you-approach" stating "nobody, except me in the whole wide world" asked for this "silly feature" that they (between the lines) would not even worry about, because "nobody cares, so why will WE care about you, Mr. nobody?" :x

This is a lackadaisical attitude I cannot accept.
billyjc

Re: EUDORA mbx files outside the e-mail account not indexed

Postby Kenward » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:04 pm

billyjc wrote:Only response I got was in a sort of "who-are-you-approach" stating "nobody, except me in the whole wide world" asked for this "silly feature" that they (between the lines) would not even worry about, because "nobody cares, so why will WE care about you, Mr. nobody?" :x

This is a lackadaisical attitude I cannot accept.

Sounds like you got as raw deal. I have never had that sort of response from X1. Perhaps you could copy the exact messages you received here, rather than your paraphrased versions, so that we can see if there is any reason why they are picking on you.

Not once have I seen a "this is a silly feature" response. They are even polite when people suggest what I consider to be "silly" features.

Why not ask for your money back?
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes