Skip CVS directory files Entries, Repository, Root, Template

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Skip CVS directory files Entries, Repository, Root, Template

Postby rowen » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:03 am

We've got 2 GB of CVS files in many directories. Every time I search, I get lots of hits on root, template, repositories, and entries.

We can exclude file extensions, but how about excluding directory and file names? Please.
rowen

Folder Exclusion

Postby Jerald Metz » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:57 am

Hi Rowen!

There are a few ways you can exclude folders from your searches.

The easiest way is to use the advanced search options in conjunction with saved searches. For example:

If you want to eliminate the folder c:\program files\testfolder\cvs\, enter it into the Path column, like this: -c:\program files\testfolder\cvs\. This should eliminate all results that reside in this folder and its subfolders.

You can view our advanced search and boolean options at http://www.x1.com/cs/rules.html.

Once you find a search that works for you, you can then create a saved search, which allows you to quickly search using this predefined set of flags.

Another option is to exclude specific folders from the index itself. You can do this by going to X1 Options > Files > More indexing options. Locate the folders in question in the file tree, and remove the checkmark next to them. When you reindex, these files should no longer appear in your index.

I hope you find this information helpful. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!
Jerald Metz
Product Manager, X1 Search 8

Please feel free to reach me directly at jmetz (at) x1 (dot) com
Jerald Metz
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Can't exclude 3000 CVS directories by hand

Postby rowen » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:52 pm

Would you perhaps allow regular expressions or some other form of excluding all the CVS directories under c:\home? Or just directories named "CVS"?

Thanks.

-Rod
rowen

Great. "-cvs" in Path column cuts out those files

Postby rowen » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:03 pm

Like most really neat tools, X1 takes a while to learn. Thank you.
rowen

a different method

Postby bialdav » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:20 pm

I take an approach not mentioned here that would supplement search techniques; I index files on the Specify Extensions list only. If I do a search for content I don't have to exclude files I will never want to search; they aren't indexed to begin with.

I would much rather see an Exclude Extensions box (or black list), but as it stands I have quite a long list in Specify Extensions. In truth it doesn't take much time to add to the list, but I do worry I've left something out. This positive approach eases search complexity sometimes, and of course save cpu time, etc.
bialdav

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes