CPU Maxout frustration

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

CPU Maxout frustration

Postby Talwar » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:07 pm

I'm a researcher and I save thousands of web pages, pdf and word documents.

I tried out the trial version of X1 in April and then decided to buy it. I thought it was $49 but the price had changed to $99 by then. I decided to buy it because it was invaluable for my daily use.

I've always had problems with X1's CPU hogging. I first stopped using it to index emails - all of the progams. I wanted to focus on the files.

Then I cut down on the file extensions, leaving it to .doc,.pdf,.htm,.html and .rtf only.

Now, I've all but stopped using X1 because:

1. It maxes out my CPU while starting

2. It maxes out my CPU by indexing

3. It maxes out my CPU even while it displays some files. The files that ti gets stuck on mostly are 250 K HTML files for Heaven's sake!!

No other product helps me out like X1 does, but right now I've settled for the Google tool and using Lexis-Nexis when needed. Both are crappy but at least they don't force me to do a cold reboot!! :evil:

--A given up X1 user
Talwar

Postby mark » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:50 pm

Would you consider giving the beta a try? I think we've addressed many cpu related issues.

Mark
mark
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Talwar » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:11 pm

Absolutely!

I missed seeing that. I'm going to download and install the 1383 beta and let it index overnight.

I'll see tomorrow about the CPU issue and whether the beta fixed it. I know the exact searches that killed me the last time. I know them only too well. :twisted: :lol:
Talwar

Postby Talwar » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:50 am

Well. The 1383 version did not work either.

It is getting stuck in the same few HTML files. :evil:

I can send the file to the X1 folks here if they want to see why the software is burping while displaying it. I even disabled the "Scroll to first match" option.
Talwar

Postby mark » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:53 am

Yes, please. Send it/them to bugs@x1.com and we'l examine it. We need to fix this!

Mark
mark
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Talwar » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:03 am

I just sent some of the files.
Talwar

Postby derb » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:52 am

I also get CPU maxing out issues when (for example) I accidentally click on a 13.6 Mb Word file and it tries to preview it. I hope this is fixed in the next version (though I will wait until after beta testing to install it).
derb

Slowness prevents adoption here

Postby mbrailsford » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:16 pm

The CPU load and overall slowness of the UI prevents me from recommending XI for use here.

Lookout (http://sandbox.msn.com/), which I am also running, is so much more friendly. The sales guy I dealt with was always comparing X1 to the Google Deskbar. The real competition is Lookout. It integrates with Outlook.

X1 has potential, but it needs to feel faster.
Mark D Brailsford
mbrailsford

Postby derb » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:09 pm

As a non-Outlook user I am less excited by Lookout. And the new beta (which I couldn't resist trying) still does not fix the problem with CPU maxout.

Could I suggest a user-settable switch that would only auto preview files under a certain size in order to prevent this problem?
derb

Postby Xgenei » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:54 pm

Yep -- I have a major problem with any programs that can grab the CPU and run it 100% for an extended period of time with no common decency for sharing. I mean isn't it just basic that you would enable a user to limit CPU slices to a percentage scale from 0 to 100? OTHERWISE MY ENTIRE LIFE BECOMES A PAPERWEIGHT. And if the choice is between that or don't use a program -- life is more important.

That's how I feel.
Xgenei

Postby w0qj » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:56 pm

to be fair, the latest X1 v5.0's Beta4 build 1191 don't grab 100% of CPU for most people i suspect-- i never had any such problem, despite using 100% Beta's from X1 since june'04 and over several computers & operating systems.

anyways, i've seen a few isolated cases of CPU maxing at 100%, BUT:
a) this happens for my computers when X1 is "Yielding_to_another_program". which means X1 is not doing any indexing and should not use up CPU cycles.

b) even in the few times X1 maxes out my CPU (for half a minute at a time), there is no apparent Windows slowdown to me (no program performance, and no Windows interface slowdown observed).
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Xgenei » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:13 pm

Please, no noise. Programs should think first, grab machine never.
Xgenei

Postby MarkGuy12 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:16 am

Help!! I'm starting to get the same kind of problem. I bought the latest (Dec 23) release and life was good for a while. Then Word would slooooow down opening, screens would take a while to get repainted, cursor unresponsive, etc.

I bring up CPU usage through Task Manager and it's hitting 100%.

If I exit X1, I go right back to normal functioning, and the CPU usage goes way down.'m running XP Pro (SP1) with 512 meg memory.

How can I configure X1 to get full functioning without maxing out the CPU.
Mark
MarkGuy12

Postby MarkGuy12 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:55 pm

How do you disable the preview window? Under my Display Options I only see a checkbox for "Play media files in View Pane" You mention PDF files as a problem - I don't think they qualify as media files. I'm using the latest (December 23) release.

Did disabling the preview pane eliminate the problem? That would be an unfortunate answer because the preview window is a big part (for me) of the search process.

From your post, it sounds like Stellent is another search utility. I'll look at them, but I really like how X1 operates - when it's not hogging the CPU!!

Mark
MarkGuy12

Postby BillChapman » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:23 pm

Mark,

Stellant supplies the viewer technology used in X1.
BillChapman
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby MarkGuy12 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:41 pm

Oops. Thanks for the update about the new version. I don't think I will install zzb just yet, though <g>. I looked in the Beta section of the Forums and there was no posting about bug fixes, differences for this version and it would be good to know what the differences are.

Did turning off the Preview window reduce the CPU usage?

Mark
MarkGuy12

NOT TO WORRY -- probably asking a bit much there MarkGuy.

Postby Xgenei » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:36 am

Frankly I don't see the problem. :?: I mean what are you comparing to? OPENING the document? :arrow: Viewing is 2-4x faster, no?

You've got a HUGE bunch of code that has to swap in and out to manage a PDF file -- formatting, bitmaps, fonts -- GET A FASTER COMPUTER? My little portege (1.5 Ghz mobile) takes about 5 seconds to view a formatted PDF with fonts. And NOTE: I don't HAVE to view any files that don't meet my interest -- one two three per search?

Maybe you should try a different tack MarkGuy? I keep my reading handy -- and a plastic recorder for short practices....

ALSO on those scan delays - :idea: - try setting the scan delay to wait for up to 6 hours (360 minutes). It won't interrupt you in that time if the machine is being used. You'll be away :30 minutes in that time and you'll come back and it'll be done.

X1 -- :!: I think you guys need to make the language clearer for that option. I FOUND IT INCOMPREHENSIVE as it is. Also I think you should default to this strategy -- it seems a no-brainer for most needs.

I also set the "no scan on minimize" on just in case I really don't want something interrupted.

"TAKE IT EASY..."
Xgenei

Inside out then?

Postby Xgenei » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:58 pm

:?: I find virtually EVERY program is faced with MULTIPLE events like you find hijacks the system. The programmer at this level has no way of anticipating the specific operational conditions -- only general ones.

I have to say that Windows is derelict -- Windows provides the overall control levels that we are both describing -- except they don't work, do they? The settings Bill and friends have provided (Bill and friends -- please listen to this -- holy smoke going up to Redmond ...) are equivalent to having two gears in a car -- literally background and foreground (forward and reverse?) To the best of my knowledge -- and there may be a secret tweak by the way -- that's the coarseness of this setting.

In other words the Guru of Redmond WA has not done anything sophisticated in this area. IT IS THEREFORE something like writing a printer driver or a video driver to these smaller companies. It just isn't something they should have to do.

So let's all take a pill and chill out and just implement the solutions that work -- I don't know why you'd want to turn off preview if having read the text display on the left, you are still going to click on the file to see what's in it (why else would you click on it?) if the only alternative to the viewer pane is to open the file to see what's inside? The question is -- would that not take longer by 2-4x? Am I missing something?

Peace and healthy coding.
Xgenei

At last -- I feel isolated!

Postby Xgenei » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:53 pm

At last I feel the problem has been Isolated!

The issue is a simple one -- YOU GUYS (over there at X1) NEED TO DO TWO THINGS: :idea: 1) add a switch to require a person to click on a file before it will view. (I'm assuming that there isn't already one in there -- are you sure? I'm not....)

And 2) -- :!: you need to add "post a message" button(s) for the forum at the BOTTOM of the screen? I could get a disability in my hand from scrolling ... and when I can't find something where it belongs it CONFUSES ME! :twisted:

Peanut butter and celery is good for dogs too.
Xgenei

SOLUTION TO CPU MAXOUT / SEISURE

Postby Xgenei » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:38 am

Never mind them -- I found the undocumented solution in Windows. There is an effective way to adjust priority and it works like a charm. All applications are set by default to "NORMAL." You can set them to REAL TIME, HIGH, NORMAL, BELOW NORMAL, AND LOW. When an app is set to low it interrups easily, but will resume using full CPU after a few moments of inactivity. In other words the computer is spending more clock cycles in watching what you are doing.

There is a warning that some apps can cause instability if set other than normal -- and that makes sense. But X1 indexing or showing a display isn't one of them.

HOW: with X1 running, open task manager, right click on X1, and click on "SET PRIORITY."

tah dah, hay?
Xgenei

Postby Xgenei » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:40 pm

No, my X1.exe was set to normal. Now it's set to low and I notice a big difference. I did get some instability on another program, and sometiming was off in scripts because of the latency -- ramping back up is not instantaneous.
Xgenei

Postby vijmal » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:50 pm

I still get 100% cpu any ideas
vijmal

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes