Significant Slow Down with Version 5

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Significant Slow Down with Version 5

Postby dmchen » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:30 pm

Now that I have upgraded to Version 5, the speed is terrible. I am not having problems with indexing like others have experienced....my indexing seems to be fine and does not adversely affect the system (I only index email every 2 hours and files and contacts at the wee hours of the morning when I am sleeping).

My problem is when I go and do a search. The former version used to return results almost instantly, now when I am typing my search word the program often freezes for several seconds after I type a few letters. When I am done typing, it takes many seconds (>10 in many cases) to show the results. Then when I select one of the results, it again takes over 10 seconds to display in the preview pane, even for very small emails (again, this was almost instantaneous in the previous version).

What gives? Thought the new version was supposed to be faster, not slower. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix?

PS. I don't know if this is related, but since I installed the new version, my laptop fan has been coming on very frequently for long periods of time. Also, one other thing - my Windows Explorer is very slow when navigating the directory tree (nothing to do with X1, this has been the case for months). If I am in a program like MS Word and do File Open, navigation of the tree is very fast, but in Windows Explorer opening up a directory can also take > 10 seconds (I have defragged and done all the std things...). Not sure if they is causing my X1 to be slow, I doubt it since it was like this with the former version of X1 and it was still fast, but thought I would mention it in case it matters.
dmchen

Postby MikeMahony » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:52 am

I have this same problem, but with version 4.09. I have actually tried disabling X1 entirely and my computer speeds up to normal speed. Any ideas on how to fix the problems we are both experiencing?
MikeMahony

speed and docking

Postby usology » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:20 am

I agree - I'm having the exact same problems.

The speed really is much worse in v5 - I'd downgrade if I could.

Also the very useful docking feature seems to have vanished. Am I missing something?

Many thanks for working hard to make this a great product - but please be sure to not lose the key asset (speed).
usology

Postby jbeaudry » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:00 pm

I have to agree with the above. The speed is clearly down in version 5. In my case, the responsiveness of X1 is greatly diminished because it goes on simingly random CPU hogging spree. Version 4 was much better in that specific regard.
jbeaudry

Speed issues and potential solution

Postby swingert » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:02 pm

I had the same problem with version 5 also, but in my case (also yours?) I had upgraded, and *then* the problem started. The solution I found was simply to uninstall everything (including manually deleting the findwell folder if you have one), rebooting, and reinstalling. I also thought the index was corrupt, so I moved the indexing file location elsewhere (after the reinstall, if it matters) and now the speed is really impressive (meaning fast), and I'm indexing a *lot* of files in my scenario with little only occasional slowdowns (probably due to other apps running concurrently) which last only 2-3 seconds max and occur rarely. I definately would not go backwards in versions.

Sean
swingert

HOW TO GO BACK TO 4.xx ?

Postby aschek » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:52 am

Hi,
I am sick of all the speed problems also, I am now on 5.2 Beta, and NOTHING in regards to that has been changed, also other GUI glitches, etc.. I just can't work with it anymore.. I NEED the latest 4.x version, with the orange interface... WHERE DO I GET IT BACK ?

I need to justify the $100 I paid.. please advice.
Alexander Schek
www.genpi.com
aschek

Postby noel » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:39 pm

Alexander,

Here is the link to 04.09:

http://www.x1.com/cs/1172zz.zip
Noel Ferreria
noel
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby paulceaston » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:09 am

Noel, thanks for posting the link to version 4. But before I give up on version five, is there any reason that version four would index Outlook IMAP e-mail messages and version 5 would hang halfway through the index? I suspect that I'm missing something and would like to address it before I blame version 5.

BTW, I am working from a complete install on a system that has been completely reinstalled. I have absolutely no residual version 4 index files. So that can't be the cause of the problems that I'm having. I don't see any problems with open and searching speeds, but indexing e-mail hoses my systems responsiveness. THe indexing hangs, causes Outlook to become unstable, slows everything down, freezed the task bar and windows explorer, and when not hanging, it pops up "refreshing headers" windows every couple of seconds making it impossible to do anything else on the computer. I've let it run unattended for over six hours with no other programs running and all windows power saving features and screen saver turned off and it never finished indexing my e-mail.

Files, contacts, documents all index great with no problems at all. It is all e-mail. I suspect this is because I'm using IMAP. But I used IMAP with version 4 and had no problems. Besides, not supporting IMAP is short-sighted. Are there recommended cache settings or other configurations that will work around X1's non-support of IMAP?
paulceaston

I seemed to have solved my problem

Postby paulceaston » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:32 pm

I finally got the most recent version of X1 to index all Outlook 2003 IMAP messages by caching all IMAP e-mail so that it was saved locally and then going offline *AND* disconnecting the computer from the Internet. X1 then indexed my e-mail quickly and did not hang.

For some reason, simply caching the e-mail or caching and setting Outlook to work off-line (FILE-->Work Offline) doesn't work. While indexing, I get "Updating Cached Headers" popup window from Outlook every couple of seconds and eventually X1 hangs. But by simply disconnecting my ethernet cable, I was able to quickly index over 10,000 messages.

After the first index completed, I plugged the ethernet cable back in, set Outlook to work on-line, downloaded/synched all new messages and made X1 index my e-mail again. This time is completed the index quickly and with no "updating the cache" messages.
paulceaston

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes