Need new search command to "IGNORE" certain words/

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Need new search command to "IGNORE" certain words/

Postby sas » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:29 am

This command has been overlooked, but could make searching much more effective. Currently we can either REQUIRE or EXCLUDE files that have a specified word or phrase (or words in proximity). This does not efficiently/effectively work in the following circumstance.

The word/phrase that the person is looking for is a subset of a larger word/phrase that is not relevant where both are in the same file.

The ability to IGNORE the larger phrase (instead of excluding files with that phrase) would greatly help "weed out" irrelevant files while not excluding relevant files.

From a logic/programming perspective, it seems an easy algorithm to add. In the parsing routine, one would add the uppercase command IGNORE. In the file searching routine, one would check each hit to see whether it was within the specified IGNORE word/phrase. If so, it would not count that hit.

Here is an easy concrete example. Lets assume all emails sent by one individual at a company have the "boilerplate" language stating, "The transmission of this email is confidential...." Now, the user wishes to search for email conversations regarding "confidential". One cannot exclude the boilerplate phrase or all the emails would be gone (no hits). Alternatively, the user could not narrow the search by just using the word confidential because all the emails containing the boilerplate language would appear.

I would enjoy hearing other viewpoints.

Cheers,
Scott
sas
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Request for new search command: IGNORE

Postby sas » Sun May 08, 2005 1:57 pm

I'd like to just bring this up again. Would anyone else find this command helpful?

The command would weed out hits from a phrase that otherwise fits your search criteria. The current exclude command cannot effectively be used for this.

Comments?
sas
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby dz006 » Mon May 09, 2005 1:43 am

Actually I had this very same requirement last week - and actually ended up having to load GoogleDesktopSearch, have it index my emails and then do the search - it was quicker that way !!!!! because google has a relevance option it ended up grouping the "boilerplate" ones so I could bypass those - worked well for me...
dz006
dz006
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby noel » Mon May 09, 2005 12:16 pm

This is a good idea -

I can see the problem with these boilerplate messages. You can exclude entire phrases by including a minus sign before the phrase - but, it doesn't solve the problem that you bring up.

The problem will come up with single word searches or multiple word that are phrased the same way.

If you were looking for "confidential papers" or "LA Confidential," this would be easy.

I don't know if this has even on our list. I will add it right now. Thanks.
Noel Ferreria
noel
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes