X1 for Bookmarks/Favorites: Powermarks

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

X1 For Bookmarks/Favorites?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes : 6

X1 for Bookmarks/Favorites: Powermarks

Postby M-5 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:51 am

I just stumbled onto Powermarks...it's basically an X1 for bookmarks. It stores them in a "flat" database and uses keywords and terms from the shortcut to find them.

X1 could very easily incorporate a similar function by creating a "bookmarks" search that limited results to URLs.

I'm registering PowerMarks in the interim but hope that X1 considers including a similar function.
M-5

Postby patteoks » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:37 pm

I have been a regular user of Powermarks since 2001 and it's the X1 equivalent for Internet Explorer Favourites Bookmarks with a very responsive on the fly search like in X1. It has a very small unintrusive footprint and allows you to add SEARCHEABLE comments for each favourite it tracks and it's very stable.

Of course it would be nice to have X1 incorporate the features like in Powermarks. But Powermarks in itself is worth a purchase on it's own as it is nicely integrated into Internet Explorer and can help those who surf frequently.

In fact, X1 should like Powermarks allow us to add comments to it's file index so that we can add (searcheable) remarks, comments to files that are indexed without modifying the original files.

As a user of both X1 and Powermarks, I can safely say they can really complement each other. There are many times when I would just use Powermarks on its own without even thinking of X1 and likewise use X1 without thinking of Powermarks.

Incorporating Powermarks features into X1 may make X1 more unwieldy.
X1 is probably better off concentrating on being inclusive to index Outlook Tasks, Calendar, Notes, Onenote, Treepad files etc.

There are many one key trick ponies utilities out there that are really good and focused on what it's meant to be doing. Powermarks is one of them and it does its defined role exceedingly well.

http://www.kaylon.com/power.html

Although the current version has not been updated for a while, it is still very competent and I would not leave home (for the internet) without it ! :D
patteoks

Postby M-5 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:05 pm

Have you been able to get Powermarks to work with Firefox? I've tried it in both Mozilla and Netscape mode and it's not fully satisfactory in either. I'm using IE with it for now...but wish I could use either.
M-5

Postby patteoks » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:48 am

You will find the answer here
http://www.kaylon.com/browsersupport.html
and http://www.kaylon.com/beta/index.html

No, I have not been able to get it to work with Firefox, at least not yet but there's a work around (see above). I just did not try very hard. Besides, I have other add-ins with IE that I use that works well with IE, eg OneNote, Roboform (also works with Firefox) and a new version of IE (7) will be released soon.

I would say, Powermarks is one of the reasons I stay with Internet Explorer. I do use Firefox maybe 15% of the time, but what good is it if you cannot keep track of where you have been if you want to return to the url a few days later. And this is where on the fly search indexing tools like X1 and in this case Powermarks really shine. I say buy X1 and go buy Powermarks as well.

Oops, let's not get carried away. This is a forum to discuss X1 and again I say, X1 and Powermarks complement each other very well with the same searching paradigm.
patteoks

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes