File contents not being indexed

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

File contents not being indexed

Postby MarkI » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:49 pm

For some reason X1 is not indexing the contents of my pdf files. Apparently there's a known bug that's causing this, and it will be fixed in an upcoming (hopefully very soon) release. I'm curious: has anyone else experienced problems with file content not being indexed when it should be? Are there any workarounds to force content indexing?
MarkI

Postby Dan » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:48 am

There are two possible reasons because your pdf files might not be indexed.

In the indexing options for files, there is an option for Maximum File Size for content indexing. Check if your pdf files are larger as this number.

Also in the same options window, there is the button Specify Extensions. Check if pdf files are included.

Other than that, I have asked features@x1.com to add a file inclusion and file exclusion feature.
Dan

Win 10
Outlook 2013/2016
Dan
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby elikam » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:24 am

I have the same problem with PDF files. PDF is included in the file extensions, and I have set the file size at the maximum. One may get the impression that some PDF files are found, but that is because X1 does pick up filenames very quickly, and it can also display the PDF text very quickly. But this is not the same as indexing the content which does not happen.

PDF files are strange in some ways. Acrobat Reader 6.0 has its own search engine which quickly finds PDF files derived from text or document files, or from the Internet, but which cannot find content in PDF files based on scanned images. However, Paperport and/or Omnipage can process PDF image files so they become searchable by Acrobat's search engine as well as by Paperport.

Unfortunately, X1 does not seem to search any PDF files, even those derived from text or the Internet. I hope this feature can be added because PDF files are becoming the lingua franca of data transfer.
elikam

Postby elikam » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:41 pm

I really should not post, because whenever I do, something happens to invalidate something I said.

I found that although Paperport can certainly index and search all PDF files if properly used(which is tricky), Adobe Reader may or may not be able to search PDF files derived from scanned images even when Paperport can search them. That is odd indeed.

That is all the more reason that it would be nice if X1 can search PDF.
elikam

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes