Folder-by-folder index scheduling

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Would folder-by-folder scheduling be useful for you?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes : 6

Folder-by-folder index scheduling

Postby swingert » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:42 pm

I think it would be great to have an option which allows indexing of folders on different schedules. For example, if you have a folder with lots of static data, don't index it with the same schedule as everything else (after all, that content will not change, but X1 could potentially use millions of CPU cycles to make that determination).

In my case, one of my hard-drives has about 300,000 files (most are saved html pages, take less than 10K, and never change) and indexing it takes about 30 minutes overall. With folder-by-folder scheduling, I am sure I could tweak it down to about 3 minutes or less. That would be awesome!

Well, there's my two cents anyway. Keep up the good work!

Sean
swingert

Postby jbeaudry » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:56 pm

I agree, this would be useful. Here's a use case I'm currently facing:

I just downloaded 2 years worth of user mailing list archives for a particular software. The hosting site does not support searching through the archives, so I plan to use X1 for that purpose. I just dumped the 25-30 gzipped file in a new folder on my drive and I was hoping I could tell X1 to index that first since I need it now. Instead, it's now going through the whole file indexing and the progress is measured in hundreth of percent.
jbeaudry

Postby dz006 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:39 am

This would be very useful and would speed up the indexing process as only a few number of folders would be scanned/indexed at a time.
dz006
dz006
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes