Start up crash with slave drive index

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Start up crash with slave drive index

Postby jgl323i » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:43 pm

I have managed to inadvertently and completely disable my X1 5.0 installation by doing the following:

1) Moving my index files to an external drive mapped to F:. I did this because my C: drive was approaching its limit and I needed to free up a gig or two.
2) Adding a USB card reader to my system which had the effect of bumping my external drive to J: instead of F:. Now, I guess, X1 can't find the index files and crashes upon start up.

Pretty neat trick, eh? Annoyed, I tried to remove the USB card reader to get the external drive back to F: No dice. Next, I tried to uninstall x1. No can do; the uninstall program even crashes.

Any suggestions on how to get back to normal? I've become totally addicted to x1 and cannot function without it. When faced with the prospect of finding a 2 month old email without x1, my brain freezes so I go slosh more coffee in my cup and get ready to waste barrels of time waiting for Outlooks extruciatingly slow find feature to fail to come up with the message I know is in there somewhere.
jgl323i

Postby r2mahara » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:25 pm

If you have XP Pro - you can usually juggle the letters around a bit with the Disk Management Console.

Run "diskmgmt.msc"
r2mahara

Postby jgl323i » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:37 am

That worked! Thanks :D
jgl323i

Postby Kenward » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:12 am

r2mahara wrote:If you have XP Pro - you can usually juggle the letters around a bit with the Disk Management Console.

Run "diskmgmt.msc"

This also works in XP "amateur".
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby noel » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:23 pm

"XP Amateur" - I like that. :lol:

Another way around this problem is to alter the windows registry settings under this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\X1 Desktop Search

The string "dataPath" should point to the index location. You can change this manually while X1 is not running and move the files over manually. When X1 re-starts, it should use the new location specified.

The un-install process in 5.1 should allow you to continue un-installing (even if a crash like this happens).
Noel Ferreria
noel
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes