"Back" Button to see previous search(es)

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

"Back" Button to see previous search(es)

Postby tq » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:59 am

I would love X1 even more (is that possible?) if it had a "Back" button like web browsers have. Is that doable?
tq
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby steb » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:48 pm

I agree. I was attracted to X1 because I'd been looking for something like Lotus Magellan, which I'd used for many years. I'm delighted with X1. In Magellan you could use ALT-F9 to quickly go back to previous searches. Clearly a 'back' button would be a more elegant way. I'd use it a lot.
Steb
steb

and a forward button

Postby mscudder » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:33 pm

As well as a back button, also a forward button. I would find both tremendously helpful.

Regards,
Michael
Michael
----------
mscudder

Postby Rob » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:49 am

pgk wrote:An interesting challenge for the developers will be to decide what constitutes a past search, i.e. when to add a search to the X1 search history list. One possibility is to save each search that resulted in the user doing anything with the data (click a result, open a file), and/or each search where the user didn't do anything for more than x seconds, assuming the user was reading the preview. Any thoughts? -pgk

How often do people find what they're looking for within the preview pane versus doing something with the data once found? 50/50? 60/40? ??
Rob McClinton
Director of Customer Care, X1

My manager is Josh Jacobs
President, X1
Rob
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Caveats

Postby sas » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:54 pm

The main benefit to pinpointing data in the preview pane are the highlighted terms. While this provides a great help, especially for Word and text documents, I often rely on PDF files and it is simply easier to open the PDF document than to use the current preview pane and go through tabs one by one.

My 2 cents.
sas
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby w0qj » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:13 pm

> How often do people find what they're looking for within the
> preview pane versus doing something with the data once found?
> 50/50? 60/40? ??

For files (*.doc, *.PDF, etc.) it's about 50/50.

For emails, it's about 40/60 (ie: 60% of time I do something with data once found).

- - - - - -

But this brings it back to one of my Feature Requests:

a) After X1 finds the email, X1 lets user "jump" back to the Outlook Express (Thunderbird, etc.) email so user don't have to *manually* find the email again to work on it (forward, reply, reply_all).

By the way, using "Forward" Outlook Express email using X1 don't include the email attachment, which has been a known bug for one year now.

b) Also, please consider to add simple file management capabilities into X1. All I ask for, is the ability to Rename/Delete files, which should be simple enough for X1 to implement (I also want "Moving" files, but this is more complicated).
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby w0qj » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:17 pm

[quote="sas"]I often rely on PDF files and it is simply easier to open the PDF document than to use the current preview pane and go through tabs one by one.[/quote]

==>You can now press "+" and "-" to scroll thru the keywords found in the many pages of the PDF document. This bug has been fixed. ;)
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby sas » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:20 am

Wong, thanks for the update! This does help the usefulness considerably.
sas
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Glad someone asked for this

Postby wixmith » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:13 pm

Sorry. Every time I see that search box with no drop-down search history, I think of Microsoft.

For me, just having that one box retain the last ten search terms would be a huge benefit. If it could also recall the content of the the column headers, of course that would be even better.

I can't count all the times I've wanted to re-try a search and had to type it all in again. Saved searches have never been much help to me. I don't know in advance when I will want to re-visit a search pattern. A search history would be much more useful for my particular usage pattern.
-wick
wixmith
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Tod » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:43 am

The main problem here is figuring out what is a user search and what should be maintained in the search history. Since we update local search results and provide immediate search results and feedback, essentially every new character in the search box is a new search. Obviously, it would not be useful if the back and forward button or history tab offered all of those searches.

Also, does every tab get it's own search history or is there one global search history. How does this work depending on the user's setting for maintaining search results across tabs?

Perhaps we only save searches that are "acted upon", in that a user selected an item for preview or executed a PSA. I suppose saving the last search when switching to a new tab would we advisable as well.
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes