X1 changes last modified date of pst archive file

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

X1 changes last modified date of pst archive file

Postby gabpap » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:56 am

I archive old emails in separate pst files. X1 v. 5.0 changes the last modified date of these files to the current time when indexing them. Now, on every incremental backup these large files are being copied when they should not be. This did not happen in the previous version. Can anyone please suggest a workaround?
gabpap

Re: X1 changes last modified date of pst archive file

Postby gww » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:27 am

gabpap wrote:I archive old emails in separate pst files. X1 v. 5.0 .... Can anyone please suggest a workaround?

Try the new X1 version 5.1
Regards, grant

Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
Outlook 2007
gww
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby noel » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:14 pm

Hi,

Are these PST files loaded directly into X1 (as opposed to being loaded into your profile)?

There may be no way around the problem. When a PST file is added directly to X1, a Outlook profile is created to hold and access the PST. Unfortunately, the process of working with the PST file (indexing) causes the date to be changed. When X1 updates the email index, it updates all Profiles/PSTs set to be indexed. There is no way to keep a separate and static index for these separate PST files.

At the moment, the only other way to work around this problem is to configure the backup to exclude these PST files. I am not sure if that is possible with your particular setup.
Noel Ferreria
noel
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby gabpap » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:42 am

Hi Noel,

Thank you for your reply. As you say, I do not have these files into my current Outlook profile. They are archived files. I understand the date of the index should be current, but I am talking about the pst file, not its index. On further thought, this transcends the backup problem. I believe that at this point I would call this a bug. The date of a file is, IMHO, part of the file’s data. My indexing/viewing program should not change any data from my files, including the saved date. By the same token, it would then be acceptable to have all the indexed files in my disk continuously changed to today’s date.

Regards,
Gabriel
PS: I appreciate Grant’s suggestion, but I upgraded to v. 5.1 and found the same problem.
gabpap

Postby noel » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:49 pm

Hi Gabriel,

I understand - I would lean towards "bug" myself as well.

The "real" problem lies with the method that X1 is using to index the PST files. While the PST files are not in your main Outlook profile, X1 actually creates a Outlook profile for each PST that is added (check your profile list and you should see X1 created profiles).

While the PST files are in a Outlook profile, X1 can use MAPI to crack open the files for data extraction/manipulation. Unfortunately, a side effect of this method is what you are seeing. The PST files are handled as if they were still in Outlook (because they are - in separate Outlook profiles).

I hope this makes sense. If there is something that we can develop to get around this problem, I will post an update here.
Noel Ferreria
noel
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Please don't make me use wds !

Postby bob.flem1ng » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:53 pm

Windows desktop search seems to have a way around this - it doesn't update pst files last modified date when simply accessing the files i.e. performing a search. Has there been any X1 progress on this matter ?
bob.flem1ng

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes