Moving, copying and Renaming file, when can we have this

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Do we need more file usage options (Rename, Move, Copy)

Yes
75%
NO
25%

Total votes : 4

Moving, copying and Renaming file, when can we have this

Postby balaya » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:24 am

how about adding more possibility to use a file once we found it.
now we can just view it, and delete.

It will be usefull if we can add thye following:

- Move selection(s) to a Folder
- Copy selection(s) to a folder
- Rename
- Bulk Rename selection (s)
(add prefix...)

small trick: now we can rename a file using the "Properties" field from X1,
it works with one hick bug?, the renamed files need need next
scanning to appear on the list again.
balaya

Postby w0qj » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:28 am

Yes, I vote for file rename and file manipulation (rename/delete/copy/moving into folders with Windows Explorer like functionalities)!

With Desktop Search functionalities being integrated into Operating Systems within the next 1-1.5 years, I really think it is high time for X1 to have a paradigm shift:

What really matters is it is what you can DO with the file/email once you have found it.
eg: rename/delete/move/copy Files directly within X1
eg: forward emails with attachments directly with X1 (you still cannot do this due to a "known issue" bug with OE emails).

Also, competent Desktop Search programs and now a dime a dozen (and mostly free too), so again it is what you can DO with the file/email once you have found it.

======
balaya, i'm not sure if it's feasible for X1 to implement a bulk file rename utility, as the interface would be very complicated.

for example, you can try out this freeware bulk rename utility (it's very good, but the program interface really scares you off the first time you see it):
http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tomyuhas » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:57 pm

You might want to take a look at this File Notes Organizer forum posting that details a manual process for collecting and renaming files found by X1 with search result saved to the clipboard. The next version has automated the X1 to FNO Collection creation process according to beta tester posting.

http://www.filenotes.com/cgi-bin/discus ... st=0;r=1;&
tomyuhas

Postby dkyer » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:11 pm

You can use drag and drop to copy files to folder now. Not as easy as a post search action for it and I agree that is a great enhancement request but it is a way to do at least one thing (copy) now.
dkyer

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes