Acrobat files sometimes not indexed (some format problem)

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Acrobat files sometimes not indexed (some format problem)

Postby fepp » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:44 am

I have some PDFs in Swedish on my harddrive that X1 seems to completely fail to recognize and index. No text inside is indexed, and the preview looks very strange with strange fonts. Seems to me that X1 cannot quite understand these files.

Could I upload a file for you to test on?
fepp

Postby fepp » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:48 am

Here is a screenshot of the X1 display:

fepp

Postby fepp » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:49 am

fepp

Postby w0qj » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:28 am

Think your PDF file is Swedish language, hence the Preview engine tried to preview the underlying code for Swedish, hence showing you all those strange characters.

I have had similar problems with Chinese language PDF files (wish X1 start to support foreign languages...)

====
Hmm... downloaded your Swedish language PDF file, set X1 to index for it...

Upon clicking on this PDF file in X1 ot preview:
(I'm using X1 v5.2 Beta1 Build 1852al )

1. For 0.5 seconds (half a second), X1 preview actually showed same as your screenshot in this forum thread above.

2. Then, X1 v5.2 Beta1 Build 1852al showed:
"Uh Oh. Unknown Error".
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby noel » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:56 pm

The problem does seem related to the language. X1 is not able to extract the text because it does not understand it. We are working to make localized versions of X1 for different regions.

The preview problem may be related to the language problem as well. Do you have other PDF files in Swedish that have this same problem?
Noel Ferreria
noel
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby fepp » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:51 am

w0qj wrote:Think your PDF file is Swedish language, hence the Preview engine tried to preview the underlying code for Swedish, hence showing you all those strange characters.

Both indexing and previewing fails. But since Swedish uses the same character set as any other European language, I cannot see that Acrobat would have a problem with the language. But apparently it could. Interesting. I think I have seen a similar problem with some other PDFs from teh same source (www.edtnscandinavia.com).
fepp

Postby fepp » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:53 am

So you actually need to make a localized version? To me, just indexing the words in the document should work just fine -- I have a mix of Swedish, English, and German docs on my drive, and search for words regardless of the language.
fepp

Postby w0qj » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:00 pm

[quote="noel"]... We are working to make localized versions of X1 for different regions...[/quote]

Is there any news as to when X1 will support foreign language Operating Systems & email/file/documents?

Just had a friend who asked about desktop searching only for *.JPG files, and i'm hesitating to suggest X1 because it does not support Traditional Chinese Windows (it crashed with BSOD when i tried it before).

I might end up suggesting Google's Picasa Photo Organizer to them, since they want to search only for *.JPG files. it's got a better interface with multiple image thumbnail preview, can move image files to different directories directly within Picasa. By the way, this was something i've been asking X1 for for a while now also...
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes