On the fly Indexing/Reindexing

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Do you believe that X1 needs to be less periodic Processor Intensive and more on the fly.

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes : 10

On the fly Indexing/Reindexing

Postby netlaw » Mon May 09, 2005 9:07 am

X1 is great. That being said, it is extremely processor intensive when it reindexes on the "time" model. By "time model" I mean where it reindexes updates every 15... minutes. Somehow, X1 needs to be notified by the OS each time a file is created, updated, saved, moved, deleted and that file needs to be reindexed, and the index updated.
netlaw

Postby tom » Mon May 09, 2005 9:51 am

+99999!

This current reindex-mechanism of X1 is the only reason for me to not using/buying X1, because this mechanism is so unelegant imho, that it nearly physically hurts me... If X1 is implementing on-the-fly-indexing (like Apple's Spotlight e.g.) someday i will be the first one buying/using it.
tom

On the Fly

Postby PeterPanino » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:48 pm

tom wrote:+99999!

This current reindex-mechanism of X1 is the only reason for me to not using/buying X1, because this mechanism is so unelegant imho, that it nearly physically hurts me... If X1 is implementing on-the-fly-indexing (like Apple's Spotlight e.g.) someday i will be the first one buying/using it.

That's my opinion too!
PeterPanino

Postby w0qj » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:27 pm

There's been a number of complaints about perceived excessive CPU usage, which X1 did explain that it is just using the excess "idle" CPU cycles.

I myself have never seen such a problem on any of my computer configurations. Neither from my 700 MHz computer with 256 MB RAM (4200 RPM slow hard drive), and not from my newer 1.7 MHZ computer either.

(By the way, I've been a public beta tester for X1 versions since v3.x)

Perhaps X1 should further look into how many users are having this problem...
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes