Indexing Removable Drives

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Indexing Removable Drives

Postby thinkstorm » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:43 pm

Hi, when I connect a USB drive, I can set the indexing settings, everything goes fine. When I travel, I don't have that drive with me, X1 starts up, and at the next index interval, all the indexed documents get lost.

Not only took the indexing of the files a long time (something I have to redo now), but I also still needed to search in the files, as the directory structure on my HD is the same as on our file server (so I could at least tell people where to look for).

Is there a way that I can 'remember' removable drives so the index doesn't get deleted?
thinkstorm

Postby thinkstorm » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:09 am

*ping*

any news on that?
thinkstorm

Postby w0qj » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:06 am

X1 calls this "non-persistent" drives: USB Hard drives, USB memory keys, etc.

a) Indexing non-persistent drives has been requested almost one year ago.
http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=2022#2022

b) In addition, X1 currently cannot index CD-ROM at all.
Ad-hoc indexing of such CD-ROM or DVD's has also been requested previously.

Currently I have to switch to another Desktop Search program to index my CD-ROM to search for contents, which I typically do once every month or so.

So above 2 Feature Requests are very useful.
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby deepuab » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:17 am

I agree with the above. Indexing removable drives and CD-ROM drives is a very useful feature. Quite a bit of data nowadays are stored in CD-ROM drives and USB hard drives. Providing such a feature would be very nice, especially since free softwares such as Google's desktop search offer it.

Thks.
deepuab

And don't forget PGP

Postby eslonim » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:13 pm

When implementing removable drives, please don't forget to allow for persistent marking of drives NOT to index, so that confidential info in PGP drives for example which are not persistent, are not indexed or copied into indexes and temporary directories.

This has also been in the list of requested features since the pre-launch days.
eslonim

Postby Osamede » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:38 pm

Is this a realistic expectation for this product? I know that Google And Copernic (free) single user prodcuts have this featire of indexing removable drives - but it seems that X1 is using this feature (among others) to justify the price diffentiation of its enterprise product. I could be wrong, but that is what it seems to me - because it obviously is implementable in existing versions of this product.

I'd like to see it in this product too though. I think its essential, especially for the laptop users. So here is one more vote for it!
Osamede

Postby eslonim » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:19 pm

I think it would be reasonable to distinguish between local and remote removable drives., or to limit the personal product to indexing 1 removable drive.

But the main factor driving my request is to PREVENT the indexing of a virtual drive just because it is mounted, and then retaining the material in the index after it is dismounted. Surely that can be implemented like "Never index drive j" without significant effort or impact on the enterprise product
eslonim

Postby Osamede » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:37 am

Copernic Desktop Search does have that, so its doable, for sure?
Osamede

Postby w0qj » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:25 pm

[quote="Osamede"]... Google And Copernic (free) single user prodcuts have this featire of indexing removable drives...[/quote]

Yes, back in Sept'2004 I had been diplomatically asking X1 for this feature (also index CD-ROM's), and had Copernic (freeware) in mind when I said that competitors can do this already.
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby lem » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:29 am

Possible workaround would be to share the removable drive and add the network path into x1.
lem

No thanks

Postby eslonim » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:32 pm

For a volume/drive that I take the trouble to encrypt, and that I don't wish to have in the index, I don't think Sharing is a good workaround :-)
eslonim

index removable drives

Postby chuckyt » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:59 am

eslonim wrote:I think it would be reasonable to distinguish between local and remote removable drives., or to limit the personal product to indexing 1 removable drive.

But the main factor driving my request is to PREVENT the indexing of a virtual drive just because it is mounted, and then retaining the material in the index after it is dismounted. Surely that can be implemented like "Never index drive j" without significant effort or impact on the enterprise product

I use an audio application called Pro Tools and it stores a database of the audio files on each drive, so that when that drive is plugged in, the app sees the index on the drive immediately & just has to update it for any changes.
it also stores a database of CD roms in the local user folder.

This would be a valuable addition to X1 - today i found all the powerpoint files on a removable drive faster using powerdesk's fast file search than X1 - a crazy scenario :-)

Chuck
chuckyt

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes