Customizable additive search buttons

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Postby w0qj » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:26 pm

Another desktop search program uses drop boxes in the Text_Search, which perhaps can be implemented to all search text boxes (To/From/File_Name, etc.)

Also, perhaps a "Forward" & "Back" browser-style button would also help?

- - - -
[pgk said:]
"For example, I have a saved search called "To Noel" finding all emails to Noel. Now I want to be able to press a user defined button that reads 'with attachment' that would restrict this list to only emails with attachements. These buttons could be grouped in a toolbar called 'modifiers'.

To expand on that, make 'shift click' act as an OR addition, plain click as an AND requirement, and CTRL-click as a NOT requirement. As a visual clue of what how the active buttons are operating, make depressed NOT buttons red, AND buttons 'x1 orange', and OR buttons green. Would be innovative and handy. Any thoughts? " [/quote]

***pardon me, perhaps a hand-written sketch would help?
I got lost in the translation, and perhaps others got lost too, just maybe?
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby w0qj » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:10 pm

[quote="pgk"]I'm especially looking forward to a self-defined button 'attachment', since I often find myself typing in email search terms, then scrolling to the attachment column and typing a minus sign in that search box. Not too practical.

-pgk[/quote]

- - - -
Amen to that!

Putting a "minus" sign in the attachment column is not intuitive, and i would suspect many users don't know this trick, especially if they don't look around in this forum.

Since X1 is aiming the XDS Platform also for corporate users, perhaps a more user-friendly and intuitive approach is needed, especially in this aspect.
Last edited by w0qj on Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Single Folder Search

Postby cmc » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:24 am

This looks like a good thread to post this in:

Would it be possible to add buttons to the Search Toolbar that would allow searching of a single folder?

For instance, I have a huge repository of text documents, in a single directory. I don't particularly care to get results from all of my files, when I'm looking for something in that archive.

Obviously, I can do this by getting crafty with the Boolean, but, hey, we're looking for speed in finding things here, right?
cmc

Postby Rob » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:59 am

pgk wrote:X1 developers, does this sound doable? I just realized that this can be combined with the saved searches tree in the search panel, and common users would not even have to notice it. Just make it possible to shift click, ctrl click, or alt-click on standard saved searches for them to work as AND, OR, or NOT searches. -pgk

I've shot this post - and the others in this thread - over to Sanshzar who's heading up our User Experience team and will be the primary contact with the Beta Team.

There's been some thinking about saved searches in Dev. One of the concepts treats the first saved search as the one that defined the columns and each additional saved search would define only additional search criteria.

This idea, however, of using the alt, ctrl and shift keys is nice twist.

I'll let you know what shakes out.
Rob McClinton
Director of Customer Care, X1

My manager is Josh Jacobs
President, X1
Rob
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes