Must-have features in V6

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Postby goggin » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:10 am

I think you got it right! The only additions I'd make are:

(a) also index Journal items in addition to Calendar and Task items. Although MS Journal didn't work out as MS originally intended, it's still very useful and would be even more useful if X1 could help find and retrieve information from here.

(b) add user friendly search patterns to the context menu on Outtlook items...things such as "Find all related messages" and "Find all messages to and from you and another person". BTW, the search string for that latter request is...

(to:person_a and from:me) OR (to:me AND from:person_a)

This is a pain to formulate any time I want to search for dialogs between me and another person. Saved searches aren't the answer in this case as most of the time the need for these searches is a one time spontaneoous thing. A built in function that would build this search phrase for me by just right clicking on an e-mail header address and select "Find all messages to/from me and this person" would be most excellent!
Last edited by goggin on Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
goggin
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby dz006 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:43 am

While were on the subject my "killer request" would be the ability to index removeable drives (and not have the index lost when it's not there!!!)
dz006
dz006
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby w0qj » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:40 am

Very succinct post, pgk!

1) Just two more major feature requests:

1a) ==>The ability to ad-hoc index a CD-ROM (DVD, HD-DVD, etc.) by right-click on the Drive within Windows Explorer.

1b) ==>Please add two buttons to function as the "+/-" buttons that scroll up/down to the next/previous search term found. I Suspect very few users use this feature as very obscure.

2) Strongly agree with you on the below:

"For immediate implementation...
- windows explorer context menu options ('search this folder')...
- drag and drop...
- a 'locate message' option for email, autoscrolling to the actual email...

Near term enhancements(V6.5)
- date range and size range searches...
- search aliases

For some distant utopian future (V10 / "X1X")
- dynamic index update, keeping the index up to date when file/email changes are detected..."
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby w0qj » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:27 pm

Metadata searching would be expected of Desktop Search products by Q4'2006, when Windows Vista comes out.

-Metadata searching needed for Office documents (.doc, .xls, .pdf, etc.)

-also would be nice to have metadata searching for music files (MP3, WMA, etc.) and also image files (.jpg, etc.)

Even Windows Vista private Beta2 (newest build 5231) have preview of Windows Media Player searching through Mucis Files' metadata:

www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,1205,l ... o=2,00.asp
www.pcmag.com/slideshow/0,1206,l=162783 ... 783,00.asp
www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1872067,00.asp
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby deepuab » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:18 am

Hi,

I too would like it if we could incex CD/DVD media and also USB hard drives. A lot of folks store information on these media as laptop hard disk space is limited.

In addition like suggested before, if X1 would have a new option not to index when on battery power that would be great.

- D.A.
deepuab

Thunderbird contact indexing

Postby rpalmeri » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:04 pm

It would be great for X1 to work with Thunderbird (mozilla's email program) contacts.
Not all of us are happy to be in the Microsoft world!

:shock:

Russ Palmeri
Asheville, NC
rpalmeri

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes