Copy email message to clipboard

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Copy email message to clipboard

Postby bposert » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:29 am

Sometimes I'm responding to an email message and would like to paste in an older email message as an attachment.
I use X1 to find the older email message - works great.
But then I need to copy it to the clipboard so I can paste it in the other message. Right now I have to go to the folder that the message is in, find it, and then copy it. It would be great if X1 had a "copy to clipboard" option in addition to the "copy to folder" and "copy to pst."
Thanks!
bposert

Postby goggin » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:56 pm

Does the beta's new drag/drop capability allow you to drag the message from X1 to the new message you're composing?
--
dgg
goggin
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby goggin » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:09 pm

One of my favorite Windows "tricks" when confronted with this dilemma is as follows....

- open a new message into which you want to insert an old message as an attachment...
- open X1 and search for the old message...
- in the message list window of X1, click and hold down the left mouse button (don't let up on the button!) on the old message and begin to drag the message in any direction until the mouse turns into a circle with a line through it...
- then use Alt-Tab to switch back to the new message...
- complete the dragging of the old message over the new message and hold...
- when the mouse turns from a circle with a line over it into a square with a + sign in the middle, then (and only then!) let go of the left mouse button...
- voila! the old message is now dragged/dropped onto the new message as an attachment.

HTH,
--
dgg
goggin
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby w0qj » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:15 pm

[quote="pgk"]I'd say "not in a practical way" - X1 steals focus when you click and hold. That should be cerrectable. X1 should only become the foreground window when you release the mouse button while above the UI. This would allow you to drag and drop from a maximized X1 in the background. Does this make sense? -pgk[/quote]

pgk, try this to see if this works?

1. reply email from Outlook (OE, Thunderbird, etc.)...
Note: this generates a new [Taskbar button for your new email being composed].

2. switch to X1's Email_tab and find your old email to be added as an attachment.

3. left_click the old email with your mouse, hold button and drag it to your *Taskbar* and point your mouse onto [Taskbar button for your new email being composed].
***This switches your Windows_Focus to the email being composed.

4. still holding the mouse's left button, move to the mouse to the body text section of the email being composed... and drop the email into there as an attachment!

(Please feel free to ask further should you have any questions... this works for both Outlook & Outlook Express...)

Note to X1: I consider this a workaround--99% of users would not figure out this way of working even with 1 year of using X1...
Currently the Windows_Explorer can drag_and_drop to Outlook & Outlook Express without losing focus on the email being composed... try it yourself!

===============

[Edit: Included new bug report as below]

Bug Report:
When you use X1 to drag-and-drop an old email containing an attachment to a newly composing email, the old email would lose its email attachment(s)!

This bug is very similar to the known issue/bug of "Outlook Express – When using X1 to open, forward, or reply to Outlook Express email messages with attachments, the new email message will not contain the attachments".
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:26 am

sometimes you want to stop dropping (e.g. because you are in the wrong place and alt-tab or pointing to a minimized window on the taskbar doesn't work). in that case, just hit the escape key.
Dan

Win 10
Outlook 2013/2016
Dan
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes