How do I index multiple email identity in Outlook Express ?

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

How do I index multiple email identity in Outlook Express ?

Postby boworn » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:57 pm

Cannot find the way to index multiple identity in OUtlook Express.
boworn

UNANBLE TO INDEX MULTIPLE EUDORA MBX FILES, EITHER

Postby billyjc » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:58 am

The other day I sent an e-mail about a similar problem, which annoys me very much. X1 can only index mbx files under the account that is registered. If you have an archive of old mbx files on another partition or HD, forget it -- X1 will not index them as one would expect. :cry:

Strangely, the support staff keeps shrugging of this issue stating that "nobody ever complained about it, so why should I worry about you?". It´s rather unacceptable having to put up with such lackadaisickal attitude after you have paid for your software. :evil:

No wonder you have a lot of people just trying it and dumping it. I should have dumped it, had I not discovered this later.

It seems they didn´t care about *my only* complaint and never will.....
billyjc

Postby gt13 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:35 am

I have got a more polite response from X1. It is below:
http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=4868

But unfortunately it seems that there is no solution (at least there was no solution at that date: May 2005, and personally I have not found a way to circumvent this problem)

Gerard
gt13
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

X1 stlll can't index muliple identities in Outlook Express

Postby PJinNY22 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:25 pm

I installed X1 Pro for the first time, today. After, I posted a request for help elsewhere on this forum believing something was wrong. It never once crossed my mind that X1 Pro could not index all of the identities in Outlook Express. But, sadly, that's still the case even with the new release version 6.1.

I found a statement in the "knowledge base" that says:

"X1 can only index the default Outlook Express identity. To set the default identity: Open Outlook Express > click on the File menu > go to Identities > and click on Manage Identities. At the bottom, you can set the default identity with the 2 dropdown boxes. Set both of them to your default identity. After you make this change, re-start X1 and check the Outlook Express indexing options again."

I would like to think that X1 will make this high priority. The company should be embarrased that their competitors can offer something as simple as this feature but X1 can't. Why would management and X1's encourage people into using another company's product? Is it because X1 only wants established big business? X1 should consider that small businesses grow into large ones. There is no reason to sacrific a customer base.
PJinNY22

Postby w0qj » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:58 am

Not to rain on your parade, but from what I've heard, there will be no further Outlook Express improvements in the future.

In fact, XEC will NOT support Windows Mail (Vista's new version of Outlook Express); it's not even on its product roadmap from what I've heard.

If anyone feels the need for X1 support for Windows Mail, please feel free to post a Feature Request at this same Feature Request Forum. Tks!

[I use Outlook Express as my main email program myself :( ]
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Kenward » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:08 am

There has been no change in Outlook Express for about a decade. Microsoft has turned it into "abandonware".

I also use Outlook Express (OE) for some things, although I am gradually moving that stuff over to GMail. I also use OE with several email accounts. But I do not need a stack of profiles to achieve this.

You have a number of options:<UL>
<LI>move to a grown up email package, even your old version of Outlook is much more powerful that OE, and you should be able to migrate your settings and messages

<LI>reconfigure OE so that you don't need all those profiles

<LI>see if another search package, perhaps Microsoft's, can handle multiple profiles in OE.
</UL>
Not the answer you want., I realise, but if Microsoft has given up on OE you will have to bite the bullet and make the move one day. Better not wait until your are forced to do so by a move to a new PC, for example.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Truth in advertizing

Postby PJinNY22 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:22 am

Please refer to

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=11103#11103

for more follow up.
PJinNY22

Points taken

Postby PJinNY22 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:39 pm

PJinNY22