x1 seems to take up alot of CPU and memory resources

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

x1 seems to take up alot of CPU and memory resources

Postby ytvette » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:04 pm

Has anyone else experienced this issue? My system seems sluggish while x1 is running.

:?:
ytvette

Sluggish etc

Postby Donna » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:58 pm

Hi,

Yes, I've noticed that too. So I close X1 when I've finished searching and open it when I want something fast. I used to leave it open - and sometimes I still do if I'm not really busy - but lately when I'm doing 100 things at once (I work from home) I need all the memory etc. I can lay my hands on so I close X1 unless I need it.
:)
Donna
Donna

Re: Sluggish etc

Postby afoessel » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:53 pm

About the quote below. Closing X1 would not be a big deal, but in my case it takes too much time to load. This may be because I have increased the allowed memory use to allow more files in the index.

Donna wrote:Hi,

Yes, I've noticed that too. So I close X1 when I've finished searching and open it when I want something fast. I used to leave it open - and sometimes I still do if I'm not really busy - but lately when I'm doing 100 things at once (I work from home) I need all the memory etc. I can lay my hands on so I close X1 unless I need it.
:)
Donna
afoessel

Postby Dan » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:20 am

I just let it index when the system is idle. I rarely need X1 to have brand-new emails or files indexed, since I know them still ;-)

When I go for a coffee break or for lunch, X1 would then start to index. That is completely sufficient for me and during usage of my pc, I do not feel any performance problems caused by X1

Dan
Dan
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby igart » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:49 am

Yes, X1 is using to much resources for average computers. I'm also using "The sleuthhound pro" which has its own problems but is less greedy. I'm often obliged to close X1
igart

X1 using resources

Postby kaganeh » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:40 am

I'd be disappointed if X1 were "toned down" to make it less powerful for the fact that it slowed down some cpu's. It's a high grade tool worth the installation of a bit more RAM. :(
kaganeh

Slugish, etc.

Postby Road Warrior » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:29 am

For indexing, a trick I've found to work pretty well (XP), since my machine is rarely idle, is to start the "Windows Task Manager", select the "Processes" tab, right click on "X1.EXE" and set the "Set Priority" fly window to "Low". Then set X1's "Email" options to whatever is appropriate. Anytime other processing is going on on the machine, X1 gets bumped to the bottom, but then comes back up when the other work is complete.
Road Warrior

Two ways X1 is a hog

Postby dweinberger » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:35 am

I've found X1 to be hoggish in two ways, one of which is controllable. First, the index-when-idle capability used to really bog down my machine, so I turned it off. Instead, the index runs every night at 2AM; I don't need the index to be up-to-date up to the minute since the email that arrived today is exactly the stuff I can most easily find without X1. Personally, I'd make overnight indexing the default.

Second, X1 loads its entire index into memory, in part so you get the useless-but-dramatic effect of showing results with each keystroke. I don't know about you, but X1 is indexing over 100,000 emails for me, so it fills up my memory pretty durn good. I'd love to see an option to turn off memory-based searching. It might take a few seconds longer to do a search, but it'd free up more memory for other tasks.
dweinberger

Re: Two ways X1 is a hog

Postby Alec_Burgess » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:37 am

dweinberger wrote:Second, X1 loads its entire index into memory, in part so you get the useless-but-dramatic effect of showing results with each keystroke. I don't know about you, but X1 is indexing over 100,000 emails for me, so it fills up my memory pretty durn good. I'd love to see an option to turn off memory-based searching. It might take a few seconds longer to do a search, but it'd free up more memory for other tasks.

I'm not positive that the tradeoff is that simple - give up key by key processing vs. significantly faster total processing if nothing happens till you enter your search arguments and hit the [Search now] button. If you're right - I agree, I'd give up key by key processing in a heartbeat :D
Regards ... Alec
----------
X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.0 (Build 3539)
WinXP PRO (Media Center) HP Pavillion - 2.2 Ghz Thunderbird
Alec_Burgess
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

key by key vs. search now

Postby kaganeh » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:30 am

The benefit of X1 is speed. If saving processor speed is at the expense of fast searches then X! is no better than Windows' find utility. I like key by key as well for the ability to refine searching as it happens.
kaganeh

X1 works fine when it indexes at night

Postby asargent » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:24 pm

Hi, I've found that X1 works fine when it indexes at night, not every X minutes or when idle.
asargent

Memory related?

Postby PRF » Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:06 am

Mine works fine at work - hardly ever notice it's running. I have 512mb RAM. At home, with only 256, I frequently have to stop it so I can have more resources available.
PRF

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes