Doesn't index Open Office file formats

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Doesn't index Open Office file formats

Postby bgfraser » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:31 am

Wow! The list of file formats supported is amazing!

But almost as amazing is what is missing: *all* the Open Office formats, both the new ones in version 2.0 (ODT, OTT, ODS, OTS, ODP, OTP), and the original ones in version 1.0 (SXW, STW, SXC, STC, SXI, STI).

Yes, file formats for Star Office are included, and they are "cousins" of the Open Office "family," but they are not the same.
Bruce Fraser
bgfraser

Re: Doesn't index Open Office file formats

Postby garberfc » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:03 pm

bgfraser wrote:Wow! The list of file formats supported is amazing!

But almost as amazing is what is missing: *all* the Open Office formats, both the new ones in version 2.0 (ODT, OTT, ODS, OTS, ODP, OTP), and the original ones in version 1.0 (SXW, STW, SXC, STC, SXI, STI).

Yes, file formats for Star Office are included, and they are "cousins" of the Open Office "family," but they are not the same.

I'm looking for this support as well. It would seem to be relatively easy to support these textual cousins. They are also an ISO standard now aren't they?

F
Frank C Garber
garberfc

Postby bgfraser » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:35 pm

Sorry, I have no idea about ISO standards for software. Truthfully, I didn't know there was such a thing.

(I seem to recall John Dvorak doing a column on ISO standards a couple of years ago, in which he said it was all a make-work project to justify expenses.
Bruce Fraser
bgfraser

Postby garberfc » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:25 pm

bgfraser wrote:Sorry, I have no idea about ISO standards for software. Truthfully, I didn't know there was such a thing.

(I seem to recall John Dvorak doing a column on ISO standards a couple of years ago, in which he said it was all a make-work project to justify expenses.

It's an OASIS standard for file formats, not the software itself.

So, if X1 supported the OpenDocument formats, it would matter who the software vendor was. Another plus for open source/formats!!! :D
Frank C Garber
garberfc

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes